Author Topic: Puppy training tips?  (Read 1182 times)

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
Puppy training tips?
« on: December 11, 2014, 03:33:42 PM »
So, my mom just signed an adoption contract on a 3-month old schnauzer mutt.  I'm excited on her behalf, but she (or I, for that matter) has never had a puppy before, always older dogs.  As far as I can tell, the pup has lived in shelters her whole life, so I doubt she's had a lot of training or socialization.

My mom's getting guidance from the rescue group she's adopting through, but I'm thinking of getting her a book as well.  Does anyone have a favorite training guide?  Ideally, something about how to get through the stress of puppyhood (potty training, learning her name, the basics) using positive reinforcement, and with minimal destruction of property or sanity.

Lulu is coming home Saturday, and will have nine-year-old Lily as a big sister when she gets there.  Lily acts very maternal with other dogs, so I think they'll get along well, but introduction advice is also welcome.

And because I know everyone loves photos, this is all I have so far: https://toolkit.rescuegroups.org/javascript/v2.0/template1?animalID=7963016&key=Mqr6gy1W  We've been told she's matted and dirty (my mom's getting her straight from transport, so the rescue doesn't have time to clean her up), but she looks bright-eyed and adorable from what I can see.

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
Re: Puppy training tips?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 10:02:11 PM »
I'm a big fan of Sophia Yin, so I bought the 7 days to a perfect puppy book she has written. Hubby is reading it first (he is pretty new to the dog training thing). I also got the Control Unleashed Puppy book. I have an 8wk old coming home in January and it has been about 8yrs since we've had a puppy in the house!
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)