Author Topic: Here we go again... Isis not doing well.  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Here we go again... Isis not doing well.
« on: January 07, 2015, 09:46:36 AM »
Just realized I've been posting about this on FB, but haven't shared it here...

Isis has started going downhill, and once again, we have no real answers, just a cat who doesn't want to eat, even with steroids and mirtazipine on board.

It starter after Murphy died, and has gotten progressively worse.  After we brought home the new kitten (I'll have more on that in it's own thread later!), she got into his food, and started with vomiting and diarrhea.  We thought it was just a food reaction, and after it hadn't resolved in a couple days, we took her to the vet.  She got some dex and anti-nausea drugs on board, plus metronidazole to help her intestines.  This stopped the vomiting and diarrhea, but she still wasn't wanting to eat.  So, I force fed her some, and it stayed down, so we celebrated.

But then, she still wasn't wanting to eat.  So, back to the vet for bloodwork.  She had slightly elevated kidney values, but everything else looks fairly normal.  X-ray showed a bladder stone and kidney stone, both pretty well asymptomatic, as near as we can tell.  And then he shows me that her intestines have thickening.  Just like Murphy's, only apparently more obvious.   So, we do a longer acting steroid shot, and hope it helps.  That was last Saturday, the 3rd.  On Monday, we were back because shes still not wanting to eat.

So, we've been back and forth.  Did a urinalysis, and her urine is about a perfect as a 17 year old cat's urine gets, so her kidneys aren't actually failing, the higher values on bloodwork were likely because she was dehydrated that day.  Started her this Monday on the mirtazipine in hopes of getting her to eat.  As of now, she nibbles.   She acts hungry, we put food down, she eats one or two bites and walks away.  We try again 15 or 20 minutes later, she'll eat one or two more bites.  She's drooling, which may mean she's nauseated, even though she still not vomiting at this point.

She makes the most pathetic noises when I have to force feed her.  It's obviously not her favorite thing.  I've tried giving her probiotics, and offering just about everything I can think of, but I'm afraid that we're going to have to let her go soon.  It's only been 6 weeks since we lost Murphy.  I was hoping we'd have more time.   :'(

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
Re: Here we go again... Isis not doing well.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 03:39:55 PM »
You might ask your vet to check for tongue cancer. We had an old cat who had this, and after speaking to several other cat owners it seems its not all that uncommon. She started off by drooling and not eating much. being interested in the food, but it was likely too painful for her or awkward with the lump on her tongue to eat much. So she started losing weight. Just wanted to suggest this to try and rule out anything if possible.
I'm so sorry you have another sick kitty. Sending good thoughts to you and Isis. :heart:
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 03:45:30 PM »
So sorry to hear this. Didn't realize you had another mature kitty at home. Crazy question. Have you looked kitty in the eye and lovingly explained what happened with Murphy?
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 04:00:24 PM »
So sorry to hear this. Didn't realize you had another mature kitty at home. Crazy question. Have you looked kitty in the eye and lovingly explained what happened with Murphy?

That is an idea. I did not even think of that.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 08:36:59 PM »
Along the lines of tongue cancer has the vet had a good look at her teeth? I have a cat with teeth problems that does not have bad looking gums or tartar.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 10:59:06 PM »
He did check her mouth carefully on the last visit, and saw nothing that would indicate any sort of issue.  Trust me, I thought of that, too.

And I've tried explaining what happened to Murphy, but Isis is deaf, so I don't know how much of it carries over.   :-\

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 11:23:09 PM »
Awww she is deaf? I didnt know that. If I remember correctly and dont know if she is around much but rattiemama does some animal communicating...I think.

We had to xray my cats teeth to see the trouble. She is destroying her teeth under the gum line. One vet said it was common to white cats then another said it happens to any cat breed. My cat is white and has other immune issues blamed on being white.  :dontknow:   It got really bad recently and I begged for antibiotics even thought the vet on at the time said her sneezing was allergies I knew it was her teeth having got infected.   http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/01/17/teeth-resorption.aspx

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 12:20:22 AM »
Im glad its nothing with her mouth. At least you know that much. *Hugs*
 Sending good thoughts.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 01:17:50 AM »
Years ago, OK make that decades ago, vets had a cat treat with b vitamins in it. I think yeast was one of the components? It smelled funny but I had one really sick cat and one senior love those treats and it helped pick up appetite. Don't know if that is still around. Also, I don't believe in veal but having desperately tried all kinds of things, I never met a cat that could resist strained baby food veal. I've also had some luck with KMR mixed with warm water and a trace of a malty paste stirred in, like the kind in a tube you use to help prevent hairballs. I've had good luck getting them to eat sardines in oil, but that is a total last resort because if they barf I find the tiny bones and scales particularly off-putting.  :confused:
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 10:12:10 AM »
I made the call this morning.  I'll be taking her in later this afternoon.

She peed outside the box this morning, I think because she's losing more muscular control.  And she's back to not eating anything, which means the mirtazapine was the only thing keeping her eating even the tiny amounts she was.   :'(

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 05:57:50 PM »
I'm so sorry. A two-fer.  :'(
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 06:12:26 PM »
She's gone.  I swear I heard her purring even after she was gone.  I'd think I was nuts if the tech didn't think she'd heard it, too.  She's with her Murphy again.   :'(

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 06:32:59 PM »
Im so sorry.  :puppy_dog_eyes:

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 06:47:22 PM »
Im so sorry. She and Murphy will watch over you. Together again. She lived a great long life. And when its time all you can do is help them  along. Its so tough, but you did right by her.

Offline RandyMiller

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2016, 06:31:38 AM »
How is her health now?
Pet Supplies Plus

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 02:40:55 PM »
I've been wondering about you for a while, and now I'm pretty sure you're a spammer of some kind.  You obviously did't read the whole thread. bubye.