Author Topic: Macy, our 13 year olds coat  (Read 1288 times)

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
Macy, our 13 year olds coat
« on: January 10, 2015, 09:41:33 PM »
My question is fish oil...  I'm looking for something to better my old dogs coat.  It always used to be beautiful and about 2-3 years ago it has turned very poor.  We've done tests at the vet for cushings.  I'm going to ask about doing tests for her thyroid. I know I've given fish oil I'm the past...  I want to say like 3000mg a day for my collie.  Macy is 76 pounds.  I'll ask my vet, but I was curious if anyone had a dose or any other ideas?  Thanks!
The Dogs: Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy 🐕
The Rats: Astrid,  Imogen,  and Yvaine 🐀
The Cat: Charm, Kitten & foster kittens Mad Hatter & Mad Max!  🐈

So many 4 legged babies are missed.  Alice & Whimsy are the most recent.  ❤

Offline Blackmoons

• Forum Enabler
  • We can no longer live as rats. We know too much.
Re: Macy, our 13 year olds coat
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 05:21:14 PM »
I have heard flax seed oil also can do wonders.  I saw it once on a dog with serious skin issues clear her right up so it would certainly benefit one without such big issues.  Just a tablespoon once or twice a day on food should do the trick.

Offline bit-bit

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm tough as glass and clean as night.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 02:45:35 PM »
Has the vet also ruled out parasites and allergies?  Those seem to be the most common causes of coat and skin trouble.

I gave my Muffin fish oil from age 12 onwards, 1000-1400 mg (one capsule, the range is because I switched brands) daily for a 45-pound dog.  He loved the taste - the only pill I could give him without hiding it.  I can't say that it really made any difference with his already-ridiculously-fluffy coat, but the vet thought it might lessen the inflammation associated with his arthritis.

Unlike most supplements, there's no risk of OD on fish oil, though giving a huge amount might affect the dog's diet and cause upset stomach or weight gain.

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
  • The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs...
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 07:23:01 PM »
Fish oil works great wonders, but may not be necessary.  Can I ask what Macy is fed?  A lot of skin issues can be improved through diet.

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 07:07:16 AM »
She's on diamond naturals lamb & rice.  The only allergy we've had issues with its straw.  She cannot lay in it.  I just tried to switch her food recently and she picked at it.  The vet said it's better to keep her happy on her food then upset her now.  The vet thinks she probably had cushings but the test came back negative.  No parasites or anything.  Her coat has always been so pretty, I just wonder if the outside finally got  to her.  She's inside now.  I put her on a joint support.  Dr said she could have up to 4 fish oil capsules.  Thanks!
The Dogs: Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy 🐕
The Rats: Astrid,  Imogen,  and Yvaine 🐀
The Cat: Charm, Kitten & foster kittens Mad Hatter & Mad Max!  🐈

So many 4 legged babies are missed.  Alice & Whimsy are the most recent.  ❤