Author Topic: Ferret & Critter Nation Privacy Cover worth getting? (+ other cover questions)  (Read 1243 times)

Offline TheDml

• Posts Too Much!
I'm planing on getting rats and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this cover:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6067+28200+28207+23959&pcatid=23959

I was thinking of getting it to help keep it dark at night and keep draft out during the day (having the front open), Do you think it would work to keep more mess inside. I'm planing to use fleece liners inside of Bass pans, but I'm planing to get males and hope to cut down on pee randomly "flying" out.

OR.... could I get somewhat the same thing by lining the outside back of the cage with plexiglas/coroplast ?

Or am I over thinking things and bass pans  and corner style litter boxes should be fine by itself?

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
Id be afraid the ratties would chew it. Ive had many curtains and blankets that I thought couldnt be reached by little rattie arms destroyed. Even my winter coat had been partially dragged into the cage somehow during midnight rendezvous. Thats just been my experience.
As for protecting things from flying pee, I have considered covering a large sheet (or sheets if not big enough) of cardboard with decorative contact paper or even decorative duct tape and placing it wherever the cage comes into contact with the wall. They shouldnt be able to pull it into the. Cage. I imagine corroplast or plexiglass would work great too.
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline TheDml

• Posts Too Much!
Thank you for your reply! I ended up not getting it. As you said, it would probably get destroyed to quickly.

Offline MaatAset

• Posts Too Much!
Mine would definitely destroy any kind of cover over the cage.  They already somehow get a hold of stuff that seems too far for them to get to.  I wanted to comment specifically to address the flying mess part of your post.  I just got a washable shower curtain and pinned it to the wall.  They have yet to reach it and it protects my wall from flying.. uhm.. debris.  It adds a splash of color behind the cage and as I said, is washable  :)

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Don't get it! I did and my rats were terrified of it because of the noise it made when I put it on. I never used it again. If I need to cover my cage, I put a regular queen size linen on it, and my rats are totally fine with it:)

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
My 2 cents. I resist anything that restricts air flow from any direction, and have an air purifier next to the cage. We have privacy panels from Ikea (huge, sturdy and $99) blocking off the room where the ratties are. Our wall has a glossy paint and seems to be holding up to whatever is thrown at it. On the other hand, haven't found a defense against the flinging of dried cranberries--nobody loves them and one hurls them aside.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline KitKat

Ha ha... my rats are new and I've already learned this ... it hasn't even been 2 weeks and the blanket I cover their cage with is already destroyed. It's okay cuz its old... but didn't think they could get at it so easily. I think they will get anything you cover it with and chew it.  ::)