Author Topic: Sugar glider toys- safe for rats?  (Read 10672 times)

Offline Animationlasi

Sugar glider toys- safe for rats?
« on: April 17, 2015, 12:30:00 PM »
So I've been trawling the internet for some new rat toys- preferably ones I could hide food in since that seems to be the only thing my girls are interested in. Sugar Gliders seem to hold the monopoly on such toys, so I was wondering if they're safe for rats? The ones I'm particularly interested in are the 'ball pits'

and the various foraging toys.

Would these be safe for rats? I know there's a lot of concern about tiny toes getting caught, so is there a safe size for mesh that I can use? I've seen some really adorable hanging houses made from this stuff too, so I'd love to know. My girls need more incentive to move around. :)

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
Re: Sugar glider toys- safe for rats?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 07:07:28 PM »
I don't know about these particular toys, but I can tell you that there are also wooden toys in which you can hide food, and which rats love playing with and destroying.  They are usually found either in the bird section or the pocket pets section of the store.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline dogsnbears

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 07:23:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure my girls would chew the mesh (they are chewers). The ball pit look interesting. I know some glider people flip wodent wheels on their sides and use them as ball pits.

Offline Animationlasi

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 12:36:56 AM »
The wodent wheel solution sounds too pricey for me- I was going to be getting some hardware cloth/plastic mesh anyway and figured that the leftovers could be put to use. 1/2 inch mesh would probably be okay for not getting rattie feet caught, right?

Offline Animationlasi

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 12:26:32 AM »
Okay, so I made the girls a ball pit out of needlepoint canvas, yarn and puff balls. They LOVE it. Everytime I open the cage door they swarm all over it. Even my skittish girl was brave enough to come out and mess around with it. I didn't have the guts to leave this in the cage overnight, they chew EVERYTHING no matter what options I give them, but I might make smaller versions and try it out.

I didn't have the money to get enough puffs to fill the pit up yet, but I can't wait! They already love it so much.  :D

Needlepoint canvas is perfectly safe for them too- I might make some
Of the cute little hanging hide houses I see around. Much cheaper than a critter pod and much more customizable.

Bottom line- it's a cheap toy for your ratties that they will probably love. Do it!

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 12:35:04 AM »
How fun!  Can you share a picture of it?

Offline Animationlasi

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 08:25:16 PM »

All models were compensated for their time with Cheerios.

Offline Artistwolf

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 08:33:15 AM »
 :shocked2: :bow:
That is AWESOME!!
"We may have the numbers, but they've got the heart!" -Outcast of Redwall, by Brian Jacques

Offline jaromo99

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 10:18:18 AM »
Animationlasi, your rat is adorable! I haven't had one that looked like that in years. And I love the toy. Are those pom-poms?
Mommy to:

Ginny, Rosie, Hermione, Zoey, Pinky, Clom, Raxie, Ian, Mori, Fred, George,Pumpkin, Christmas Tangerine, and River Song

Offline Animationlasi

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 11:28:34 AM »
Yep! Standard Pom-Poms. I think they're 1/2 inch? I want to get bigger ones too- give them some
Variety.

Thank you! That's Elsa-Maria in there, she's my baby.

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 01:44:27 PM »
That's so cool!  You should sell those.  I'd totally buy a rattie ball pit or two!

Offline Animationlasi

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 11:07:43 AM »
I've worked out a price if you're still interested! I'd need to wait until my next paycheck, but after that we're golden. Message me if you want to talk about prices/ sizes. :)