Author Topic: death  (Read 1371 times)

Offline egour

death
« on: May 07, 2015, 08:15:49 PM »
 So, we had 2 ferrets. They have both always been loved and very well cared for. Today, one of my ferrets died suddenly. He was only 3 years old, very healthy, perfect weight, energetic, happy, etc. He had absolutely no symptoms of any disease, but when I woke up he had passed away. He had no injuries, and looked completely fine. Now, I'm not sure what to do next. Should I be concerned about disease? Will my other ferret be okay? Will she become depressed? I'm at a complete loss. This was so sudden, and so shocking. What's next?

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
Re: death
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 09:30:34 PM »
Unfortunately, pet store ferrets are very poorly bred and succumb to tumors and illnesses without outward signs sometimes. If possible, I'd recommend a necropsy with a vet to see if there is a visible cause of death. I'd also keep a watchful eye on your living ferret over the next few days, maybe a checkup too just in case. Ferrets can become depressed so keep her active and play with her. I wouldn't recommend getting another ferret for a few weeks just in case this is something contagious.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost one of my own suddenly this year too. It's so hard.

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
Re: death
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 11:08:11 AM »
Don't know anything about ferrets, but DO know sudden loss and my heart goes out to you. So sorry. [HUGS] I personally believe our pets go to a better, happy place, and although a sudden death is horrible for us, at least it's not a long, drawn-out fight against illness. The pet suffers less with a sudden loss, and we don't face the agony of the "is it time?" decision. I agree with the person who said to give it time--to check the health of your other pet, and to let your heart heal a little. If you are planning a necropsy, be sure to refrigerate the remains.

Take care of yourself.
--Best, Mountaintop--