Author Topic: Cat diet change questions  (Read 1321 times)

Offline mightywhiskers

Cat diet change questions
« on: April 01, 2015, 03:34:19 PM »
I'm preparing to pick up a couple of rats next week and with that i've been looking into the nutrition to figure out the diet for them. I stumbled across the homemade cat/dog type diets and never even thought that cat kibble might not be the best for my baby boy. it's just something we never thought of. He is eating a really cheap brand that I know isn't very good but his brother died due to complications the last time we tried to change his food and we've been scarred Max might have the same problems. Right now I think he is about 12 years old and doing okay on kibble but I would really like to give him a better diet.

I read through a couple of articles including this one http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.php and she mentions rabbit and chicken/turkey. I know rabbit would be pretty expensive just looking at it and where we live, but I was wondering about other meats like beef, pork, and fish. I know it's not necessarily what small cats eat in the wild but he absolutely loves beef and fish so I was wondering if there would be a balanced way to incorperate those into a diet.

I'm just now kind of grasping rat diets and how to balance them so adding a cat and a dog also to that is a bit confusing for me because they are so different, so if anybody has any resources for info or recipes they use, or even the do's and dont's then that would be really appreciated.   :help:

Max also has kind of had funky fir lately so from what I can tell the much healthier homemade diet would help with that a lot. He also drinks a lot of water, he always has but would that be something where he might drink less not having kibble anymore? I think that covers my questions right now. Any help of suggestions would be really appreciated I just want to give my baby the best now that i'm aware I could do better ;D

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Cat diet change questions
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 08:14:30 AM »
I highly recommend reading more at catinfo.org.  They have a lot of really great info on diet transitions and how to do it safely (slow is key!). 

If you want to do a high quality diet for your boy, you don't necessarily have to go full homemade.  If you can find somewhere near you that sells Nature's Variety Instinct frozen raw food, you can use that.   It's what I feed my cats (you may find it only as "dog food", but it's complete for cats, too).  And yes, they drink less if they're on a raw/homemade diet, simply because they're getting their moisture the way their bodies are designed to, from their "prey". 

Alternatively, there are places you can purchase different meats online.  You'd need a freezer to make it cost effective, since you wouldn't want to be ordering small batches, but it's something to consider, anyway.

A healthier diet in general will help with your boys fur, as well.  Good for you for trying to make the changes necessary to help him be healthier!  I hope he's cooperative.  Some cats can be very picky about their foods and make transitioning difficult.  While you researching, you might also look into getting some canned foods for him.  Contrary to popular belief, they aren't bad for his teeth, and it might help with later transitions to get that added to his diet now.  :)

Offline Alpha1

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 08:35:58 AM »
Did you manage the transition, how was it? I want to know this as am currently thinking of doing the same and your input will help a lot.

Offline RandyMiller

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 06:20:38 AM »
You should consult a vet before making changes to his diet.
Pet Supplies Plus