Author Topic: Schnauzer help  (Read 939 times)

Offline rocky_red

Schnauzer help
« on: June 16, 2015, 05:18:34 PM »
I have a five month old miniature schnauzer. He is a great little dog, is doing really well with his basic training. He has a solid sit, a good down, and a decent recall. He comes with me to the dog boarding facility I work at, so has abundant opportunities to burn energy.

The only issue I have with him is what I call the "schnauzer scream." It's this awful barking/shrieking sound that he makes when he feels like he is missing out on something fun. He rarely does this at home, but does it a lot at the kennel. He cannot keep coming with me if he continues this behavior as it gets the other dogs worked up and we have a noise ordinance.

He will stop if I am in the building and near enough to correct him, however he knows when I am outside and seems to turn it up then. What can I do about this? He is getting a little better, but he has to stay at the kennel for a week at the end of next month. I am willing to get him a bark collar (it's not the barking so much as the screaming, though), but would prefer to try other methods first. I do have a little while to try things out.

So, if anyone has any ideas, it would be very much appreciated! Thank you.

Just wanted to add that I have tried ignoring it, but with the other dogs barking and the other employees walking by it is rewarding to him. He also used to do it when in the groomer's dryer, but quickly learned that it wasn't doing any good there.

Offline dogsnbears

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Schnauzer help
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 12:11:16 AM »
better late then never....

I would try to teach the command "quiet" and reward him for that. And if you can get others to help you (at the kennels,) get them to practice to. Maybe even type up something to post above his crate so everyone can understand what you're training. You can even update it with progress. Not sure how food motivated he is but you can also try kongs with frozen canned dog food, or peanut butter or whatever works to keep him busy. Also try to tire him out as much as possible if he's going to be in the crate for a while, makes a big difference.

Have a radio playing to keep him company, might also make it a bit harder to hear if your near by.
You can also try bringing a blanket the smells of home, might comfort him a bit.

I often practice "quiet" with my dog because she is a barker. She caught on quite quickly that if the other dog barks, I am likely to say "quiet." So she will come running for a treat before I even say anything, lol