Author Topic: Rat Cage Question  (Read 908 times)

Offline reedyrat

Rat Cage Question
« on: July 09, 2015, 10:26:07 PM »
Hi there, am posting from Australia and would like a few comments. I've just bought a pair of gorgeous boys that will be introduced in due time to my older boy, Puff. As they grow and play together, I need to consider their living arrangements. The current cage I have for Puff is a PetOne product 60cm x 60cm x 35cm which is great for him and one local breeder has given it a thumbs up for 2-3 rats, although rat calculators say otherwise.

We don't have Martin Cages or Critter Nation here and they cost $$$ to import. Opinions on cage calculators vary though depending on which site I visit. Are these rectangular cages good for rats? I will need to create the levels obviously but the floor space is quite generous. Appreciate information and comments from more experienced owners.

A visit to the pet store is eventually in the books too. So comments appreciated!

Rectangular Medium
91cm W x 63cm H x 57cm L
Website says good for 2 rats
Rat calculators say 4-5 rats
https://www.coopsandcages.com.au/rats/rectangle-rat-cage-medium/

Rectangular Large
105cm W x 77cm H x 69cm L
Website says good for 3 rats
Rat calculator says 7 rats
https://www.coopsandcages.com.au/rats/rectangle-rat-cage-large/
Rectangular Large
105cm W x 77cm H x 69cm L
Website says good for 3 rats'
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 10:35:58 PM by reedyrat »

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
Re: Rat Cage Question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 10:49:35 PM »
Wow - I am amazed those cages are marketed to rats. The bar spacing on one is 30 mm and 35 mm on the other. Both of those are over 1 inch (assuming my crude metric to English converter in my head is working properly). In my opinion, that is even too wide for boy rats. Most females and pretty much any young rat could slip right through. And yet the website seems to be marketing them specifically for rats. I don't get that. Has my math failed me?

I recommend 1/2" bar spacing for rats unless you have only big squish boys and don't plan to ever have anything else. That would be about 13 mm.

Offline reedyrat

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 03:14:01 AM »
Thanks, it looked too good to be true price-wise. I don't think they're popular with the rat community here.

My current cage has the 1.5cm bar spacing (1/2 inch) which is closer to the ideal. Do you think it's comfortable for 3 male rats? They are still young, from 4 to 12 weeks. Haven't been introduced yet but I'm just planning ahead. If it suits, then it's settled.

PetOne Ferret/Rat Cage
61cm x 35.4cm x 61cm
http://petone.com.au/index.php/2015-04-16-23-37-16/housing/cages-carriers-hutches-and-coops/item/316-505

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 08:08:54 AM »
My current cage has the 1.5cm bar spacing (1/2 inch) which is closer to the ideal. Do you think it's comfortable for 3 male rats? They are still young, from 4 to 12 weeks. Haven't been introduced yet but I'm just planning ahead. If it suits, then it's settled.

PetOne Ferret/Rat Cage
61cm x 35.4cm x 61cm
http://petone.com.au/index.php/2015-04-16-23-37-16/housing/cages-carriers-hutches-and-coops/item/316-505

If you use the old standard of 2 cubic feet per rat, it can hold two rats. But most people now recommend using 2.5 cubic feet per rat, in which it can only hold one rat. So you might do okay with 2 rats, but not with 3, and I personally would recommend a larger cage even for just 2. Sorry, I do not know what is available in Australia, so I cannot make recommendations. I tried to see what other cages were offered by PetOne, but they go from being too small, to being really large (the Ferret Cage 235 looked suitable for rats, but it can hold up to 11, so it is probably much larger than what you are looking for and also much pricier - there was no info about bar spacing, either).

Offline reedyrat

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 08:15:05 AM »
Thank you Vonda Z. I've found a local
Rodent Fancier Society here in my state, they've also been incredibly helpful over the last couple hours. Social media has its place!