Author Topic: Bedding/Substrate Question  (Read 818 times)

Offline reedyrat

Bedding/Substrate Question
« on: July 11, 2015, 08:22:27 AM »
Are vinyl, laminated flooring or cor-flute okay as substrate? I find it more practical to clean and maintain daily with baby wipes. The boys have shredded paper as bedding and sometimes fleece too. Are there any pros and cons I should know about? I used to have fleece but it needed to be changed daily as it smelled quickly.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
Re: Bedding/Substrate Question
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 09:49:55 AM »
Fleece won't start to smell as quickly if it is paired with an absorbent underlayer.  Then it will wick urine though to the underlayer, out of contact with the rats.  One reason we recommend fleece over other fabrics, by the way, is that it is a non-woven textile, with no threads to catch on, and possibly amputate, ratty toes.

The floorings you mention are fine and should be easy to clean.  I like fleece because it's cozier, quite apart from its other excellent qualities.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 12:59:42 PM »
You can certainly use those floorings but you should have something absorbent on top. When rats pee they usually go in corners, but they will walk through it. This can make the rats smell like urine and be unhygenic. Fleece with towels underneath has been recommended here before for easy odor control. As BigBen said, fleece is the safest material. And towels that do not have loops in the fabric are best for safety reasons.

Paper bedding such as All Living Things brand paper bedding is nice because its dust free, absorbent, and controls smell.

Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline reedyrat

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 05:14:45 PM »
I do agree with the cozyness factor - it's winter here in Australia. So let me use towels as aN underlay to fleece. Thanks!