Author Topic: dried corn bedding  (Read 623 times)

Offline willas

dried corn bedding
« on: July 14, 2015, 04:08:13 PM »
Hi so many moons ago I bought my rat (before introducing her to vanilla ) a bag of dried corn to use as bedding.
I read that wood shavings was bad and my only other option was dried corn.i bought it and it was pretty cheap.once I got home I changed her bedding to the dried corn.after a while I went on Google and saw how bad dry corn is for rats.i left it in for a few days but changed it again. This was a few months ago and now ime using a blanket with newspaper that works wonderfully.
Is there anything I can do with the corn?? It's Just laying in my room and I want to use it but I don't know how....  :eek: :doh: .

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
Re: dried corn bedding
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 04:59:17 PM »
If you have a compost pile, that would be a good use for it.  (Wet it down well, once it's on the compost pile, to encourage it to decompose.)  The problem is that dried corn can easily develop a mold that is toxic to rats, so even hanging small pieces as cage toys is probably not a good idea.  Sorry!

I forgot to add:  The wood shavings that are bad for rats are the aromatic softwood shavings; the aromatic volatiles irritate your rats' lungs, and rats' lungs scar very easily.  The aspen shavings that you will find in pet stores is perfectly fine to use with rats, because aspen is a hardwood and does not contain aromatic volatiles, as the softwoods cedar and pine do.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 05:01:57 PM by BigBen »
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline willas

Re: dried corn bedding
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 01:34:41 AM »
Ok thank you  :) my dad has this huge compost pile thing, I think ill throw it in there
ime not really sure what type of shavings it is but it made Clare sneeze like crazy so I don't think it's the good type of shavings  :bdaysmile:
thank you so much for the reply , now I don't have to waste the bag of corn :balloon: