Author Topic: Best Bedding?  (Read 991 times)

Offline Xela

Best Bedding?
« on: July 21, 2015, 11:47:11 PM »
Hello  :)
I was wondering what you guys think is the best bedding for your little ones. I currently have fleece on the shelves that I find quite useful and Exquisicat paper pellets in the tray. I have tried towels in the tray as they are dustless but cannot stand the smell it collects.  :confused:

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Best Rat Bedding?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 11:50:19 PM »
For my 3 female rats I use zilla liners on all shelves of my double critter nation cage I use unscented FreshNews paper pellets in their litter boxes.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 11:54:36 PM by ILoveMyRatties »

Offline Xela

Re: Best Bedding?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 11:59:05 PM »
I would love to try out Zilla liners one day.
I also would really like to potty-train my girls soon and try out a pee rock. I have no idea if the rock will actually work but it's worth a try I guess  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 12:11:12 AM »
I just went pick up some pee rocks with my husband Saturday. Was a nice hike too. I just washed them today, but haven't try them yet.

Offline chelsea12

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 02:49:29 PM »
I use fleece with cloth under it. With fleece you have to be sure to change out the under layer frequently, as the fleece wicks the liquid through and can get stinky if you don't clean it often.

I use Uhaul pads as the under layer with my guinea pigs, as their cage will smell the same day if the under layer doesn't dry properly. The Uhaul pads dry much quicker than anything else I've ever tried, and therefore smell less. The trick with fleece is to make sure you don't use any fabric softeners, as those will prevent the wicking from occurring.

What is the concept behind a pee rock?

Offline Xela

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 03:03:30 PM »
Thanks!
As far as I know, the concept of a pee rock is to encourage the rats to pee on the rock, rather then all over the cage. I have the all living things cage for my girls, (first cage) and it has wooden shelves and ramps. I have no idea why someone would make a rodent cage out of plain wood like that but that was my only option and I have to double up on fleece just to make sure it doesn't reach the wood, since I can't get it off.
I never ever have a problem with smelling the pee and it never reaches the wood when I have the fleece on. I only smell it if I have a towel in the bottom tray portion  :-\

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 03:40:28 PM »
My girls often pee on the inside and outside of the sides of the pyrex I use as litter boxes  ::)
I'm hoping that with the rocks they will pee inside the boxes instead. Rats like to pee against something. Their cage is due for a cleaning today, so I'll add the rocks too.
I cleaned the rocks very well, and boiled them for 15 mins. I wanted to be sure no parasites...could possibly still be on them.

Offline chelsea12

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 04:09:10 PM »
How big of rocks do you use?

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 04:22:54 PM »
They are about 1/2 to 3/4 of my closed fist. I'm a girl.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 04:33:34 PM »
If you can get pebble/polished rocks it is even best because they would be easier to clean...I'll try with what I have for now. :wink5:

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 06:04:53 PM »
The litter I like best is called Eco-bedding.  No local pet supply store carries it, of course, so I used CareFresh Crinkles until the store, as is typical of my luck, stopped carrying it.  But I did finally manage to find Eco-bedding online, at Amazon, as I recall.  It's great; 100% recycled paper and virtually dust-free.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n