Author Topic: boys & girls in dual critter?  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Ehrinlove

boys & girls in dual critter?
« on: July 22, 2015, 12:41:26 PM »
with the top sealed off of course would this be fine? I might be adopting three boys soon from someone nearby me who can't handle them anymore, if so I'll be getting a second tier for my critter nation perhaps a bit down the line, I was wondering before any of that is it safe to do so and block off the opening with the ramp and maybe their litter box or something else so they can't get down below, or should I just look into getting a second critter nation entirely ? I'd prefer the dual as eventually I'd like all males or all females, the two genders thing will only be for this one time as I currently have girls, and they have boys they need to re home.

so yeah, also that and anything special I should know for boys? I know chubby and lazy and cuddly, no citrus and a few other things [ I always double check sites before giving new treats anyway]

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: boys & girls in dual critter?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 01:31:10 PM »
It depends what we mean by sealed off. Closing the ramp and putting a light plastic litter box or even a glass litter box (I use pyrex) will not be enough. The males will do anything to get to the females, and so will the females while in heat. You will end up with lots of babies. Maybe closing the ramp, and putting a metal pan from bass pan. Anything plastic like the ones that come with a critter nation will be chewed, and you will end up with lots of babies
www.bassequipment.com
My rats go up and down the cage from the outside a lot. I'm assuming all rats do. If any of your males do that your girls could get pregnant in a minute, so you will have to be very vigilant. Same if your females do it, of course.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:41:25 PM by ILoveMyRatties »

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 02:24:22 PM »
I did this temporarily, while waiting for Lilly to be spayed and then recover from surgery. I switched the top and the bottom pan so that the full sized pan was on the top level and the pan with the opening was on the bottom, and I zip-tied the ramp in the up position.

My rats could never get to each other with this setup and no-one chewed the pans. That said, I am always extremely nervous about having intact males and intact females - even in the same house. I always spay my females because it has the added benefit of helping reduce the incidence of mammary tumors. I am not positive about the logistics of mating through the cage bars (some say they cannot achieve the position of lordosis through the bars and others say that mating is still possible), but there are enough people who say it is possible that it is not worth taking a chance. I hear about so many "accidents" with people who have both sexes intact, that I wouldn't do it even in separate cages for any extended length of time.

Offline Ehrinlove

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 05:05:39 PM »
yeah I already have rules in place, never both out at the same time not even doors open at the same time cage would be away from either during out time with a smaller spare cage available for bathroom, water, food. I don't intend to have both sex's past this one time I want either all boys or all girls eventually I'm just trying to find a way to make this work so I can buy the second teir rather then a second full CN but thats fine if I have to do that

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 05:56:11 PM »
It can work, but as people have posted, you need to block off the corner where the ramp comes up.  There are too many stories of rats mating through cage bars to take any risks.

When I got the boys to keep my beautiful sweet Catherine company, I was able to work out a deal to get them all castrated as a package deal.  You might be able to work something out with your vet, too.  In the end, the vet decided to spay Catherine instead of doing the boys, and it had the advantage of protecting her from mammary tumors for the rest of her life, so that worked just as well as the original plan and cost about the same.  By all means talk to your vet about what can be done.  Also look around for a low-cost spay/neuter program at your local humane society or SPCA, because in some areas, these programs will take pocket pets as well as cats and dogs.  The peace of mind alone will be well worth the cost.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Ehrinlove

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 06:34:35 PM »
I'll check things out, I'd have to either snip all three boys or do all three girls either way, I have some idea's for blocking off the lower level where the ramp is I may put a piece of heavy tile down under the pan overtop of where the ramp clips up one they couldn't move or get a metal pan as suggested

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 07:05:18 PM »
I think rat's teeth are strong enough to chew through a tile. It might take them a while, or not.

Offline Ehrinlove

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 08:15:05 PM »
good point, I talked to my mum about this, were prob gunna just go with the metal pan if I can find the one that fits the CN for the boys up top and as I said before, no out time with the other side is nearby and no doors open together I'm the only one who opens the doors or touches the cage and people around here have to see me to do so, so I'll have watch on anything happening with them

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 08:33:18 PM »
Here is a link to the metal Bass pans: http://www.bassequipment.com/Cage+Pans/Ferret+Nation+Pans/default.aspx. If you go with the galvanized pans, you will need to pain with a non-toxic Rustoleum (otherwise the zinc will absorb the urine smell and they will start to stink). Stainless steel does not need to be painted, but is more expensive.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 08:35:05 PM »
I would go for the stainless steel if I were you, the orher will rust...

Offline Ehrinlove

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 08:47:33 PM »
yeah I'll prob get the stainless steal pan for them, rusting is bad

Offline Pied

• moo
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 12:34:00 AM »
Not to go against what everyone else is saying, (because I asked the same thing too once) but it also depends on the rats.  I did this once.  I had two elderly males left from a group and got a frantic call from a shelter I used to work at with two adolescent females that had been left at their doorstep.  after quarantine I moved them into the bottom of my CN and closed the ramp, left the males on the top.  I think I sealed it off with cardboard, fabric, and something else that I can't remember.  My boys were old, my girls didn't seem to care.  One of the boys died (as old rats do :() and I was left with Mr. Snitch on top.  He wasn't a particularly friendly rat anyway, so the girls would climb up to the top to play, and he would attempt to bite their toes.  So I think in my case mating was not even an option, as there were too many toes that needed to be bitten off. 

Can't say things will be as fortunate for you, but I did it, and it worked.  I still have one of those girls (one succumbed to an unfortunate respiratory infection that she couldn't kick) and two new females from another shelter.  No babies. :)  Heed this with tons of salt because I don't want you to end up with an unfortunate oops, but just wanted to share my experience.

Offline Ehrinlove

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 02:13:48 PM »
good to know! I'll likely end up doing a metal base pan on the top layer for the boys but that will be after I can buy the second tier and the pan, for now they are going to be in a separate smaller then I would like cage that is coming with them from the person I'm adopting from and in a month or two I'll be able to get the second tier for the cage for them