Author Topic: Abbeys Corner of Destruction  (Read 641 times)

Offline MissMadness

• Ritten
Abbeys Corner of Destruction
« on: July 28, 2015, 01:42:11 PM »
I recently purchased two little girls and I'm already deeply in love with them. They're well behaved and very sweet. They get along very well. The only thing I've noticed that isn't my favorite is that the smaller of the two, Miss Abbey, loves to destroy and make a mess BUT only in one corner of their cage. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it because she's bored or just being herself? Are there any tips and tricks to settle her down or redirect her destructive antics? I greatly appreciate the help!

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Abbeys Corner of Destruction
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 01:59:44 PM »
What cage are they in, and what do you have in their cage? Do you take them out at least 1 hour a day? Depending on those she might or might not be bored.

What if you don't put anything to destroy in that corner, maybe the destructive behavior will stop. 

Some rats are more destructive than others, and there is not much you can do about that.

My rats love when I give them the wrapping paper that often comes in packages. They shred it into hundreds of small pieces. You might try that.

Do they have a wheel?

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
Re: Abbeys Corner of Destruction
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 02:05:25 PM »
Sorry. Welcome to the world of healthy, well adjusted, but destructive terrors: rats. It is not unusual for rats to shred everything: liners, hammocks, fabric (don't let the curtains or bed spread get too close to the cage or it will be shredded rat bedding in no time), paper towel, newspaper, cardboard, wood toys. My rats like to shred things and drag the fragments into/over/around the food bowl to hide it from the invisible rat food stealing monster that only they can see. You can try giving her things to chew like wooden chew toys (but that will just make a mess anyway, and they may ignore that and chew whatever the like anyway).

If you have had these girls for less than 3 weeks and they came from a pet store, also be aware of the possibility of pregnancy. Shredding material and building a nest with it could be attributed to the nesting instinct in a pregnant female. Signs to look for would be a pear shaped belly, thinning of the fur around the nipples, and a slow but steady weight gain (need a digital scale to detect it). That said, this type of "nest building" would be very common for any rat - I only threw that possibility out there because she is female, she is building something in one specific place, and you haven't had her long (better to be prepared if she is showing other signs of pregnancy than surprised one day).

As ILoveMyRatties stated, she could be bored if she doesn't have a stimulating cage environment and/or if she is not getting enough out of cage time. If either is the case, you want to work on fixing that. However, plenty of well-stimulated well attended to rats still destroy anything in their paths, so it is not necessarily a fix.

Congrats and good luck on your new ladies. Rats are a true joy and I am sure you will just adore them despite their destructive behavior (you don't want to see the wood frame or upholstery on the love seat in our rat room [or the missing buttons on our TV remote - my husband was none to pleased about that]).