Author Topic: Hammock Sizes?  (Read 524 times)

Offline Fluxeroo

Hammock Sizes?
« on: July 30, 2015, 12:47:30 AM »
My friend is currently sewing me some hammocks, and I'm wondering what the right size would be.

I currently own a crinkle ferret hammock thats 12x 12in. The one my friend is making currently measures 8 in x 10 in.

Thoughts??
Spots -Rehomed (8/14/16)
Archer -Rehomed  (August-July 2016)
Spuds
Lulu

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
Re: Hammock Sizes?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 08:52:45 AM »
You can make hammocks any size you want - there are no rules, but you should keep in mind how many rats you want to fit at one time and how big the cage is/how much space there is where you want to hang it.

For a Critter Nation cage, I make my flat style hammocks 14" x 16". That is large and won't work as well for smaller cages, but allows for a lot of rats to cuddle up together in a CN.

Recently, I made a bunch of hammocks for some single males who couldn't live with other rats for health or other reasons. I made those 10" x 12".

A medium-sized hammock (something in between - to fit multiple rats but using smaller available cage space) would then be around 12" x 14".

8" x 10" seems a little small for rats for my personal taste, but they should still use it. I make my cubes 7" and I have had rats who liked to nap on top of the cube, which is just a 7" square. I would say that you may not find multiple rats snuggled together in a smaller hammock like that, but then again, I have found three rats entwined together inside a 7" cube or a Critter Space Pod, so you never know. Some rats like to be all smushed up together in a tiny space.