Author Topic: Rat food online  (Read 955 times)

Offline PicaRat

Rat food online
« on: August 16, 2015, 01:38:24 PM »
Where is a good place to get rat food online? My rats never eat the healthy stuff in their seed mix, and don't eat much of the lab blocks that I give them. What should I do? Does rat food cost about the same online as it does in the pet store?

Offline xxmary

Re: Rat food online
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 02:14:55 PM »
Food online is usually cheaper. I highly recommend oxbow regal rat food for adult rats. Also give them plenty of fresh fruit and veggies.  I buy the oxbow from drsfostersmith.com. Be sure to do a Google search for coupon codes :)

Offline Loreless

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 08:50:09 PM »
We use Regal Rat as well. We mix Regal Rat and our grain mix (a handful of each). They don't get more food until it's all gone. We also supplement with fruit and veg.

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 10:06:32 PM »
I buy Oxbow as well. All the rats I have ever had eat it just fine. We buy in bulk though. The 20lb bags turn out to be cheaper in the long run and we freeze what we wont use in a month. We have bought from wag.com and pet360.com. One of those places offers (or at least used to offer) a 20% off coupon for your first time signing up with them. You can also try amazon.com
http://www.wag.com/html/sg/oxbow-regal-rat-food.html
http://www.pet360.com/product/7203/oxbow-essentials-adult-rat-regal-rat
http://www.amazon.com/Oxbow-Regal-Rat-Food-3-Pound/dp/B000GABM1K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439777051&sr=8-1&keywords=oxbow+adult+rat+food
http://www.amazon.com/Oxbow-Animal-Health-Essentials-20-Pound/dp/B00E5BHEBI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439777051&sr=8-2&keywords=oxbow+adult+rat+food

Right now, just from the places I listed, it looks like pet360 has the best deal on 20lb bags, and amazon has the best deal on 3lb bags.
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 03:17:31 PM »
Where is a good place to get rat food online? My rats never eat the healthy stuff in their seed mix, and don't eat much of the lab blocks that I give them. What should I do? Does rat food cost about the same online as it does in the pet store?

The problem you mention is why we don't recommend seed mixes.  If you feed your rats a lab block, they can't pick and choose.  They may not appear to be eating them, but they are.  I often hear my rats eating during the middle of the night when I can't see them.  You can free feed, or try to manage their quantity, either can work.  I free feed, but I can't go by the level of blocks in the bowl, since they are enthusiastic stashers.  I keep an eye on the stashes instead, and replenish the blocks when they run low.  It is possible to train rats not to stash, but I don't worry about it, since they have so much fun running around with the blocks.

To ensure that your rats are getting a nutritious diet, you should make the lab block 80% of their diet; the rest can be treats for the sake of variety.  But many rats are perfectly content on a diet of nothing but blocks.  We recommend Harlan Teklad, Oxbow, and Mazuri.  The HT formula for adult rats is 2016, Oxbow's is called Oxbow Essentials Regal Rat Adult Rat Food, and you want the Mazuri Rodent Breeder 6F formula.  They all contain 15 or 16% of protein and 5% or less of fat.

The only version of HT that I have seen available commercially online is Native Earth 4018, which is the retail version of HT Global Diet 2018.  (It has slightly more protein than 2016.)  HT is available from a number of rat rescues, those that have donors generous enough to allow them to afford Harlan's $1,000 minimum order requirement.  They buy in quantity, reserve what they want for their own use, and sell the rest to help support their work.  I don't worry about the price too much, since purchasing HT this way helps support a rescue.  Oxbow and Mazuri are available online from quite a few stores, and my impression is that they are cheaper online.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n