Author Topic: My puppy's not eating...  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Tsuki2

• Ritten
My puppy's not eating...
« on: August 18, 2015, 08:52:58 PM »
Hi!

Sorry for posting this in the wrong section, but I looked at the dog care section and it doesn't really seem like many people go there...

We just adopted a min pin chihuahua mix 4 days ago, female, and weighs only 5 lbs. We got her off craigslist, and from a lady who said the dog had been abandoned. Not sure how old the dog is (We named her Minnie Bug), but we took her to the vet and they said she's probably 6-8 months old. They also said that Minnie has most of her adult teeth, but still has some puppy teeth and they'll have to pull them out when they spay her in a month or so.

We bought a GMO free hard puppy food for her, but she hasn't been eating much of it at all. The lady we got her from said that Minnie wasn't eating much, too. She will eat cooked chicken if you offer it to her, but she hardly eats any of her hard food. I've offered her cooked oatmeal, eggs, canned dog food. And she has turned them all down, except for the cooked chicken.

Why is she not eating? Could her puppy teeth be bothering her? Could it be stress from moving place to place? And how do I get her to eat? She drinks water just fine, and she seems healthy other than the not eating.

Thanks for any advice, I appreciate it.

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
Re: My puppy's not eating...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 08:37:24 AM »
Could be the teeth, or it could be something more serious. I know you said you took her to the vet, but you might want to take her in again and have them REALLY look at her for the lack of appetite. It could be the stress - if she wasn't with the other woman very long, it's possible that's all it is - just too much moving around. Or she could have eaten something she shouldn't have, or she could be sick, or she could be hurting (maybe from the teeth or maybe from something else going on). How are her stools? Solid or runny? I always worry when I see "Craigslist" because I've heard horror stories around here where people get a cute puppy and that puppy ends up being sick (parvo, distemper, etc) and doesn't survive. Craigslist people aren't always reputable... I'd urge you to at least call the vet and explain what's going on - they might say to wait a while or they might say to bring her in, but either way it would be good to get in touch. That's what they're there for!
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!