Author Topic: CTRR: Many spayed/neutered ratties available in Austin, TX transport possible!  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Blackthorn

• Posts Too Much!
    • Central Texas Rat Rescue
Hello all!  Central Texas Rat Rescue in Austin, TX has many lovely ratties up for adoption.  All are spayed and neutered and adoption fee is only $50!  Please see our "adoptable" list and contact us at centraltexasratrescue AT gmail DOT com for more information. :)  Transport MAY be possible to DFW, Houston, San Antonio, and perhaps other areas in TX.

See our adoptable pet list:
http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelterid=TX1755&preview=1

Offline PnutLuv

• Posts Too Much!
    • SnoozieCubes
Ever transport to Chicago area?

Offline Mischief Mistress

• Posts Too Much!
  • I <3 My Rats.
Hello all!  Central Texas Rat Rescue in Austin, TX has many lovely ratties up for adoption.  All are spayed and neutered and adoption fee is only $50!  Please see our "adoptable" list and contact us at centraltexasratrescue AT gmail DOT com for more information. :)  Transport MAY be possible to DFW, Houston, San Antonio, and perhaps other areas in TX.

See our adoptable pet list:
http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelterid=TX1755&preview=1

I am one of your foster homes (haven't fostered yet) in San Antonio. I am looking for a pair to adopt, my husband would NOT want to pay $100 to adopt... Of course I don't plan on buying from the pet store...
Mom to 2 kids
Lactation Consultant
Student Nurse!
Army Veteran!

Offline Blackthorn

• Posts Too Much!
Not Chicago, unfortunately. :(  Rescued Rat Adoptions may, though, they are in IN.

Mischief Mistress, our adoption fee includes a vet check, spay/neuter, parasite treatment/prevention, etc. and doesn't even cover the amount we actually pay for the surgeries, let alone any other aspects of care. It is not only about population control - rats are healthier and happier being spayed/neutered.  $50 now is nothing compared to the cost of multiple mammary tumor removals or ER visit with an injured pet due to a hormonally aggressive boy.   I'm sorry if your husband thinks our fee unreasonable, but that is how we operate. 

• Posts Too Much!
  • I <3 My Rats.
I know I know, I could have written that down to the mammary tumor prevention! If I were single I'd have no problem paying that, but marriage comes with a joint decision. I'll be trolling craiglist for some rats that need to be rehomed here locally.
Mom to 2 kids
Lactation Consultant
Student Nurse!
Army Veteran!

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
I understand marriage. However, will your husband allow you to spend $200 or more on tumor removal and/or respiratory illnesses? Maybe it would be best to get males, although a $200 vet bill/rat over their lifetime is not uncommon. I hope he can understand that.

• Posts Too Much!
  • I <3 My Rats.
Nope he wouldn't like that, not at all. We will be getting males and I WILL take them to the vet should it come down to that. He may not believe in that but I do, and that I will not waiver or compromise on.  :thumbsup2:
Mom to 2 kids
Lactation Consultant
Student Nurse!
Army Veteran!

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
Nope he wouldn't like that, not at all. We will be getting males and I WILL take them to the vet should it come down to that. He may not believe in that but I do, and that I will not waiver or compromise on.  :thumbsup2:

Make sure your husband knows about this now or it will likely create issues in your relationship later. Health problems will develop and vet bills will be incurred in the vast majority of cases. It is not "if it comes down to that" but instead "when it comes down to that." My rats cost more in vet bills than do my dogs. Very few rats are healthy their whole lives then pass gently in their sleep. Better to be upfront and honest about that from the start. You don't want to end up in a situation where it is your marriage vs your pets. You both should be on the same page from the start.

Also keep in mind that neuters help prevent hormonal behavior issues in males. It may not be a critical health benefit like that for females, but if your rats have problems getting along due to hormones, it will be stress for the people and the rats and it could lead to injuries and medical bills. For those boys who need a neuter for their own well being - the $50 is a bargain. I have paid about $240 per neuter and they were worth it. $50 to never have to worry about that is a bargain and the money will help the rescue keep doing the good they do.

Offline Blackthorn

• Posts Too Much!
We have lots of babies in the rescue right now!  If you've been thinking about adopting soon, now is the time!   :poke: