Author Topic: Old dog- chronic utis...  (Read 695 times)

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
Old dog- chronic utis...
« on: September 21, 2015, 08:10:03 PM »
My large breed is almost 14.  She's been having chronic utis for about 4 years now.  We've done ultrasounds and culture and sensitivities and she's up to having them about once a month.  She's on meds for leaking, but she still has accidents while laying down (large accidents) and also regular accidents in the house.  Last night right in front of me...  I've done adequan, antibiotics, pain meds, and rechecks galore. 
I'm at a breaking point.  She still eats.  She gets around ok, not perfect.  I'm going more tests tomorrow, but I don't know when to say enough is enough.  :/  Any ideas?
Thank you.
The Dogs: Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy 🐕
The Rats: Astrid,  Imogen,  and Yvaine 🐀
The Cat: Charm, Kitten & foster kittens Mad Hatter & Mad Max!  🐈

So many 4 legged babies are missed.  Alice & Whimsy are the most recent.  ❤

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
Re: Old dog- chronic utis...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 01:02:05 PM »
My dog had bladder cancer. Prior to the ultrasound that diagnosed it, she had multiple antibiotic resistant UTIs that lasted for months. We finally got the UTIs all cleared right after the cancer diagnosis. She also had diabetes, so both made her more prone to future UTIs. I started giving her D-Mannose powder daily (1 tsp twice a day, she was about 60 lbs) and NaturVet Cranberry Relief twice a week. We had her put to sleep yesterday (cancer was finally too advanced), but she hadn't had a UTI in over a year, since I started the supplements. Many other members of the diabetes forum have also reported good results with D-Mannose. I was also wiping her twice a day with baby wipes to help keep the bacteria away.

D-Mannose Powder: http://www.herbspro.com/d-mannose-powder-117208.html (This is where I ordered mine from. It was usually the cheapest. It's much more expensive in a helath food store)
Cranberry Relief: http://www.naturvet.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&category_id=15&product_id=87&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=8

Edit: I just realized this thread was about a month old. Sorry, I mostly hang around Random Chatter now. I hope this helps anyways.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 01:03:54 PM by cerulean.blue »

Offline fearlessella

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • I have 3 girls!
Re: Old dog- chronic utis...
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 11:54:49 PM »
Thanks so much.  I will look into the supplement.  We've actually put her on ppa for leaking and it seems to have helped a ton so far!
The Dogs: Macy, Laynee, Roman, Sicili, & Cappy 🐕
The Rats: Astrid,  Imogen,  and Yvaine 🐀
The Cat: Charm, Kitten & foster kittens Mad Hatter & Mad Max!  🐈

So many 4 legged babies are missed.  Alice & Whimsy are the most recent.  ❤