Author Topic: Midwest Critter Nation Cages  (Read 1709 times)

Offline hollylolly95

• Ritten
Midwest Critter Nation Cages
« on: October 23, 2015, 05:34:44 PM »
Hey Everyone!

I've been thinking about adopting my first group of ratties for a while now, and have done a lot of research to make sure I can provide the best life for them. It seems that when it comes to cages the Critter Nation is almost everyone's favourite! However I am having a horrible time finding one that isn't ridiculously expensive in Canada ($400). Even used ones tend to be out of my price range. Admittedly it isn't that high, as I'm a student and can't afford to fork over that much money at one time for a cage.

Does anyone know where I could find one for cheaper in Canada? If not, the US (with free shipping)?

Thanks in advance!

Holly

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
Re: Midwest Critter Nation Cages
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 06:06:01 PM »
Try www.ferret.com.  A Double Ferret Nation costs about $240 US when not on sale, and a CN proportionately less.  If you keep a lookout on the site, they run promotions from time to time in which shipping is free.   They also offer pretty good discounts when they run a sale.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline hollylolly95

• Ritten
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 06:18:12 PM »
That is still quite a bit when the current conversion rate is added. :( How much do they usually go on sale for..?

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 07:27:48 PM »
The All Living Things Multi-Level Small Animal Cage sold by PetSmart is the exact same cage as the Midwest Dual Critter Nation - manufactured by Midwest for PetSmart and rebranded as All Living Things. I checked what I believe is the Canadian PetSmart website and it looks like they sell it for $299 (and you can pick it up at the store so no shipping charges). PetSmart does sometimes have good sales on this cage during select holiday weekend sales here in the US - not sure about in Canada.

http://www.petsmart.ca/small-pet/cages-habitats-hutches/all-living-things-multi-level-small-animal-cage-zid36-21573/cat-36-catid-600011?var_id=36-21573&_t=pfm%3Dcategory

If you can't find one at a price you can afford, you can also look for a single Critter Nation to start with and then purchase the add-on unit when you have enough money. The add-on will convert the single to a double. It will cost more in the long run, but you don't have to shell out as much up front.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 11:24:14 PM »
What is the current exchange rate, BTW?  When I was a kid in Buffalo, <ahem> <cough> years ago, the two currencies were essentially at par, so we never worried about it.  It sure seems weird having to worry about the exchange rate with Canada, of all places.

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 12:18:39 PM »
I just recently set up a CN (single unit) and it's huge. I've seen that many people with the doubles find that their rats spend most, if not all, of their time on the top unit.

Unless you're planning on taking care of a horde of rats, you might be completely fine with a single unit. (...and if you're thinking of getting young rats, you might want to avoid the Ferret Nation because the bar spacing is wider)

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 11:40:09 PM »
Michael is right.  The two main differences between the CN and the FN are the narrower spacing and the horizontal orientation of the bars, which makes it easier for the ratties to climb (which they love).

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 01:03:03 PM »
Amazon currently has the double Critter Nation for $175 with free shipping on the USA website, not sure what shipping to Canada would be but the price is great:
http://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Critter-Nation-Animal-Habitat/dp/B001NJ0DAY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446487143&sr=8-1&keywords=critter+nation

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 03:07:13 PM »
Amazon currently has the double Critter Nation for $175 with free shipping on the USA website, not sure what shipping to Canada would be but the price is great:
http://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Critter-Nation-Animal-Habitat/dp/B001NJ0DAY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446487143&sr=8-1&keywords=critter+nation

Holy wow! Thats a good price! I'm going to share this on my facebook pages. :o Thanks for the heads up!
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline hollylolly95

• Ritten
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 09:00:45 PM »
The exchange rate is something like 1.33 CAD for 1 USD. Canadian dollar declined a lot recently, so exchange has been pretty crappy. The DCNs on 1800PetSupplies seem to be going on sale regularily for $167.99 USD, and that the cheapest I've seen them recently. Its still a lot though. :(

I was hoping to take in some animals from Kijiji (the ones who will likely end up as feeders if their owners can't find them homes), which is why I was thinking the DCN, to split the cage between genders (need to save the girls as well as the boys haha). In a way, a rat rescue (or half-way house?) was the goal eventually. :$

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 12:04:16 AM »
Unless you plan on getting the stainless steel Bass pans splitting  the cages will not be enough. Rats will chewing at the DCN plastic pans and can mate between the bars. Are you planning on neutering/spaying?

Offline artgecko

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 08:07:17 AM »
You would need to buy an extra "bottom pan" and put that in the bottom of the top until of the DCN..  That will split it.  The pans are plastic, which is why I replaced mine with metal pans.  I don't think most rats would chew through them (I know a lot of people that are using this way with the plastic and don't have issues) but metal is easier to clean IMO and you can get deep pans if you want bedding.  Since you're in CA, check out the pans sold by flowertown chinchillas... they are in CA too and I'm sure whipping would be a lot cheaper for you.  I ordered pans from them to replace the shelves in  my DCN (they are the only people making metal shelf pans that I know of) and they are high quality. 

I used my DCN with females bottom and males on top (split with metal pans) and had no issues whatsoever for over a year.  I now have 2 DCNs and use 1 for each gender, but a split DCN works fine as long as you use a bottom pan in the top half.

Offline mghemm437

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 11:56:28 AM »
Since you're in CA, check out the pans sold by flowertown chinchillas... they are in CA too and I'm sure whipping would be a lot cheaper for you.  I ordered pans from them to replace the shelves in  my DCN (they are the only people making metal shelf pans that I know of) and they are high quality. 

I used my DCN with females bottom and males on top (split with metal pans) and had no issues whatsoever for over a year.  I now have 2 DCNs and use 1 for each gender, but a split DCN works fine as long as you use a bottom pan in the top half.

I am looking at buying the pans from Flowertown Chinchillas, since they are a lot less than expensive than the ones from Bass Equipment. You've had them for a while now, how are they working out for you?

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 12:48:24 PM »
I am looking at buying the pans from Flowertown Chinchillas, since they are a lot less than expensive than the ones from Bass Equipment. You've had them for a while now, how are they working out for you?

3" deep pre-painted galvanized steel base pan from Flowertown: $22.54 U.S. Dollars + shipping (from Canada)
3" deep galvanized base pan from Bass Equipment: $25.95 U.S. Dollars + shipping + $4 can of paint
3" deep stainless steel base pan from Bass Equipment: $45.95 U.S. Dollars + shipping

The Flowertown pans actually seem to be fairly close in price to the galvanized pans from Bass Equipment. Bass pans seem to be only a couple dollars more (plus the can of spray paint to finish them). If you're in the U.S., it might be a good idea to calculate the shipping from Canada before finalizing your decision. With shipping, galvanized Bass pans might actually be cheaper depending on where in the U.S. you live.