Author Topic: 9 month old unspayed female looking for EXPERIENCED home ( Fremont, NH )  (Read 748 times)

Offline chancesxare

A couple of months back, I found this cutie at PetLife in Dover, NH. The store said they get their rats from a local breeder, which made me feel better about getting her; I'm not one who buys from pet stores because of the issues that come along with it. She was socialized, handled every day since she was born. She was in the cage with 2 other girls, who looked to be her littermates. She's to be 1 year in Feb.

I did what every person would do bringing a new girl home; quarantine, trust training, give her time to adjust, and spoil her.
But, I've discovered that she is a biter. Last night, I took her out of her cage to clean it, and put her in what I call my "cleaning cage", which I had just cleaned with vinegar & water. Once I was done, I went in to take her out and put her back in her own cage.

When I picked her up, she latched onto one of my fingers, and bit down. She did quite a bit of damage. Took me half an hour to stop the bleeding. I didn't try and pick her up from above like a predator would do. And she didn't seem scared. She just lunged. My hands had been washed with unscented soap, so I didn't smell like food or other rats.

Because of this, I need to find her a home. I have 0 experience with biters, nor do I have the time to work with her. She seemed extremely sweet; even closed her eyes when I pet her through the bars of her cage. I have 6 other girls, 2 of which are on meds for breathing issues/long term issues. I hate to have to let her go, but I wasn't expecting this.

Kahlua is free to a good home and comes with some toys. I will only let her go to a home with someone who has the time and the experience with biters and/or abused and scared rattys. I wish I had the time to devote to her rehab, but unfortunately, I don't.

If I can't find a home for her, I'll end up keeping her. I won't give her to a pet store or to a shelter.
Mother of 2 new boy babies.
{ RIP Maggie, Beth, Ellie, Moo, Macaroni, Cheese, Oreo, & Kahlua. <3 }

Offline MomRushlau

• Posts Too Much!
    • Mainely Rat Rescue, Inc.
Re: 9 month old unspayed female looking for EXPERIENCED home ( Fremont, NH )
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 08:30:29 PM »
Is she living with your other rats?  She may just really need rat company.
Adoption and Foster Care Coordinator
mmrr.robin@gmail.com

Offline chancesxare

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 09:42:11 PM »
No, she isn't. I'm treating all my girls for a case of mites as well as respiratory issues.
And I don't want to stress them out or give her the mites.

Offline chancesxare

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 02:46:47 AM »
Still looking for a home for Kahlua.

Offline tobiturtle

• Ritten
  • RatLove
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 01:59:50 AM »
Hello,

Has Kahlua passed?  I might know of a good home, however based on your signature line - she has passed(?)

Thank you for any information.
Tobi A. Herbert
*RatLove*
Rat-Mom of Violet, Monty and Roscoe
Grandma of Willow, SweatPea, Fern, Lily, Wilber, Maximus, Floyd, Houdini, Tip-Top and Jigsaw
Great-Grandma of Fleur, Daffodil, Rose, Dahlia, Clover, Ivy, Rambler, Boris, Capone, Rocket, Sergeant and Zeus
RIP Daisy, Buttercup and Poppy