Author Topic: Gunter, Otto, and Bernie  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Ezio

Gunter, Otto, and Bernie
« on: November 23, 2015, 01:28:52 PM »
Last year I lost the best rat I've ever owned, Jupiter, a beautiful white female rat that loved to sleep on me and would groom my hand as I watched TV.  I found her curled up on the bottom of her cage, like she'd gone to sleep and just never woken up again.  :BlueDumboBigEyes: She was a year and a half old.

I took a hiatus from rats and decided to get some Parakeets, something I hadn't had since I was a child. I love them dearly, but they never filled the rodent sized hole in my heart. So, last week I decided to get something ratlike, but not a rat. I got mice.

Like with the keets, I got three of them. (In case one dies I won't have to do the mad dash to find it a friend. Plus, I already know they get along and don't have to worry about comparability).  They have a two story cage with habitrails and a wheel, plus a three foot long plastic tote that I've turned into a playground for them (that's where the pics were taken).

They are;

Gunter. He is a big tri-color (B&Ww/ some caramel on his belly) and the friendliest of the three. He is the leader and the one the other two rely on to make sure "things are safe". He'll scout out an area before the other two join him.

Otto. He is B&W with a blue patch on his back. He is friendly, but easily startled. He is always with Bernie.

Bernie. The smallest and timidest of them. He has two perfectly symmetrical black marks on his sides. He's scared of the camera so it was hard to get a good pic of him.

Here's a pic of them together.

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
Re: Gunter, Otto, and Bernie
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 03:10:23 PM »
Aw precious! They are so cute!  :heart:

Edit:
Are you by chance in the UK? You may have to separate them if they start fighting. Its pretty common here in the USA for males to start fighting each other. But I have heared in the UK the males are more tame and can be kept together. -Just wanted to mention it in case you were unaware.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 03:12:27 PM by Kitsch Slapped »
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline Ezio

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 05:01:48 PM »
I'm in the US. Why do male mice in the UK get along better then ones in the US?
These guys sleep together and I've even seen all three nibbling on the same piece of food. Will be on the look out for fights, thanks for the info.

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 08:36:02 PM »
They were bred better over there is what I've been told.

I have 3 rescued males who didn't get along even after neutering. Its good to be prepared for it.
But they are super cute! I hope it all works out. Congrats on your new additions!
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline Ezio

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 09:23:22 AM »
They were bred better over there is what I've been told.

I have 3 rescued males who didn't get along even after neutering. Its good to be prepared for it.
But they are super cute! I hope it all works out. Congrats on your new additions!

Well, Otto died last night. So one source of fighting gone.
http://www.goosemoose.com/rfc/index.php?topic=4108268.0

The other two have each claimed a level of their cage as "theirs", so hopefully it works. Next time I'll get females.