Author Topic: Darn that loud little Bird!  (Read 10368 times)

Chic 2000

Darn that loud little Bird!
« on: June 05, 2002, 10:12:25 AM »
About 3 to 4:00 AM (Pacific) There is this bird that sings very, VERY loudly!  It may be several little birdies I'm not sure.  He doesn't stop untill about 10:00AM and then takes a breather and starts up again in the evening before sunset.  It's spring here all right.  Warm weather and  a little NW dampness.  But MAN I wish that Damed little bird would sing his "love Me" song some other time.  You can even hear him through the closed window!

I know he's just doing what nature intended and broadcasting his love song to all female birdies out there.  But does he have to do it so early in the morning!  Sometimes I really hate nature, even though I am a nature lover. ::)

Offline kmw

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • No longer a rat mom
Re:Darn that loud little Bird!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2002, 10:18:14 AM »
Have you tried throwing a shoe at him?  I have a large crow who used to perch in the tree outside my window and spend his morning cawing merrily away.  So I threw a shoe at him (not intending to hit him, but just to let him know I wasn't happy).  It took a few mornings, but he got the message.  Use heavy shoes.  Without laces.  Or you'll have to be really good at climbing trees :)
kmw
RFC Moderator

"Everybody knows how to raise children, except the people who have them." - P.J. O'Rourke

The Bean  Bean 2.0

Offline Suebee

• Honourary Canadian!
  • Administrator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rimmer: 7/26/99 - 08/31/02
    • ratsrule.com
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2002, 10:28:56 AM »
LOL!

The other morning we had a bird whose song can only be described as a "nose whistle."

Feee.... feeee... feeee....

Friggin thing woke me up! I thought it was MY nose that was whistling!!!!

Offline Louise

• Posts Too Much!
  • Toebiter, Couch-chewer, Squeaker extraordinaire!
    • not rat related - my portfolio
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2002, 10:31:02 AM »
KMW!!!  I'm surprised at you!!  Throwing a shoe at a poor defenceless birdie!! ;)
Louise and the Bad Rats, Willow, Bogart, Hannah, Holley and Higgins

Offline kmw

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • No longer a rat mom
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2002, 10:37:13 AM »
I nearly wrung a goose's neck as well - stupid bird spent an HOUR one morning (at 5.30 am) doing this:

Honk honk honk honkhonkhonkhonkhonkhonkhonkhonkhonkhonkhonk

Get the idea?  Drew and I discussed recipes for goose, and he was going to go out and get it, until I pointed out that he had to put pants on.  We decided it wasn't worth the effort :)  Woe be to those who interrupt my sleep!    
kmw
RFC Moderator

"Everybody knows how to raise children, except the people who have them." - P.J. O'Rourke

The Bean  Bean 2.0

rogermerriman

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2002, 11:37:11 AM »
My mate has a woodpecker nesting right next to his bedroom ,all he can hear is little birds crying for food! Driving him potty!

We often get the peregrine falcon circling over head during the summer, Kee, Keee, keee! Gets very irritating after a while!

Offline ckhs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Get past the tail, give rats a chance
    • Any Rat Rescue
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2002, 11:48:30 AM »
Poo little birdies...you should all be ashamed...you don't hear them complaining about all your irritating habits.
:o :o :o :o  Im shocked
ckhs

WeeRaffins

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2002, 11:56:03 AM »
There's a mockingbird at my grandparent's house, who loves to sing in the wee hours of the morning. (Groan) When I stay there (at my grandparents) I sleep in a little room right next to the bird's favorite perch. He is SO loud! I swear he does it because he knows I'm TRYING TO SLEEP!  ;)

Offline kmw

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • No longer a rat mom
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2002, 12:16:58 PM »

Poo little birdies...you should all be ashamed...you don't hear them complaining about all your irritating habits.
:o :o :o :o  Im shocked
ckhs

Oh, don't be shocked.  I don't just pick on birds.  I also throw shoes at Drew if he's sleep talking or smacking.  And have been known to put a pillow over his head if he's up to particularly annoying noisemaking during the night :)
kmw
RFC Moderator

The Bean  Bean 2.0

Ali

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2002, 01:31:18 PM »
I know the feeling! The baby birds are just fledging here at the moment..... and the neighbourhood cats know  it.

Every morning when it gets light, at 5-ish, the cats go out and the birds start their warning calls.

Not only do I have to lay in bed listening to crows, rooks and magpies cawing their wretched heads off (and they don't even sing nicely!) I also have to keep jumping out of bed to look out of the window everytime a bird gets particularly excited just to check that the cats haven't caught anything.

Grrrrrrrrrr.....

Offline ckhs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Get past the tail, give rats a chance
    • Any Rat Rescue
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2002, 03:32:26 PM »
Ali....you don't have to just lie there...you could get up and enjoy the wee morning hours....As If ;) ;) ;)
ckhs and the girls

Ali

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2002, 05:48:29 PM »
LOL - 5 am is a bit toooo early for me!

I'm extra paranoid since one of the cat-boys brought a magpie into the bedroom one morning. Luckily it was very much alive, but waking up to a magpie squawking on your curtain rail and poo-ing over the bed is no joke! (This is on top of the snake in the bath, starlings in the bathroom, mice under the desk etc....)

Heaven knows how he got it through the catflap, magpies are pretty big! When I'm really not feeling up to it I shut the boys in at night - at least that way I only have the noise to put up with and not the worry of having some unwanted visitor being plonked on the bed.

Offline Elaken

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Rats are my obsession!
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2002, 06:13:36 PM »
I love nature an all but I haaaate birds.  While my mom is gone, my sister got me in the bad habit of going to bed at five in the morning, and waking up in the afternoon.  so right when I am trying to sleep, that is when the birds start.  And I can't stand sleeping with noises like that (my girls are bad enough) oh I would so ban birds from a 40 ft perimeter around my house if I could!
I was lucky enough to have been part of Willie's life and I am eternally grateful for the 2.5 years she gave me.

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Be nice to someone today!
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2002, 08:16:33 PM »
I'm a nature lover, and a wildlife rehabilitation volunteer,
but I still don't enjoy the birds singing outside my bedroom window at 6AM!
Even my rattie girls sleep in the living room because they
keep me up at night. My cats have their own bedroom
(which they love) so they don't wake me up. . I am VERY protective of my sleep.
Hence, we can go back to that no child thread - people
tend to look down upon you if you ignore your crying child because you want to sleep.
No sleep = no children! ;)
Gulliver's Travels  may be over, but they will never be forgotten..

Ms. Jingles

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2002, 08:50:47 PM »
I love birds...there I said it, it wasn't that hard. I love watching birds, listening to birds and not putting the little bums out on a cold spring day when they build a nest in our oven fan and all you can hear is the *hop hop hop* of birds walking  and the scratching of their claws on metal and the screeching when the parents bring food and, and, oh my head!

Offline Rachel

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2002, 08:56:01 PM »

About 3 to 4:00 AM (Pacific) There is this bird that sings very, VERY loudly!  It may be several little birdies I'm not sure.  He doesn't stop untill about 10:00AM and then takes a breather and starts up again in the evening before sunset.  It's spring here all right.  Warm weather and  a little NW dampness.  But MAN I wish that Damed little bird would sing his "love Me" song some other time.  You can even hear him through the closed window!

I know he's just doing what nature intended and broadcasting his love song to all female birdies out there.  But does he have to do it so early in the morning!  Sometimes I really hate nature, even though I am a nature lover. ::)

I just complained about this on another board...except the birds outside MY window start singing around 1am

Offline Sabrina

• Posts Too Much!
  • wanna wanna BIKKIT!
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2002, 11:44:01 PM »

I just complained about this on another board...except the birds outside MY window start singing around 1am

Yeah, really, what's up with that???

Wanna know how birds can be even more annoying?  Move to tropical Australia!  Not only do you have songbirds early in the morning, but also curlews that make this really creepy high pitched sound all night long, and then in the morning there are whole flocks of cockatoos flying over!  Ever heard how loud a cockatoo is by itself?  Mulitply that by 20! (Any Aussies here who can back me up?)

Sadly enough, now that I'm back home I miss the birds there.... especially the cockatoos, believe it or not!  And one of the most amazing things I got to do there was wake up at like 4:30am in the heart of the rainforest to hear the dawn chorus... THAT was unbelievable.
Love, Sabrina
Forever remembered: Piper(4/19/03) Kaela(4/15/03) Ellie(5/19/02)

"You can be obsessed with remorse all your life, not because you chose the wrong thing... but because you never had the chance to prove to yourself that you would have chosen the right thing." U.Eco

mmm nicey bikkit

Offline Rachel

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2002, 12:04:34 AM »
I love visiting places like that...but I'd go nuts if I lived there ;) I stay up most of the night :x so when I want to get to sleep, I want to get to SLEEP =P

Offline Sabrina

• Posts Too Much!
  • wanna wanna BIKKIT!
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2002, 02:55:06 AM »
::sits at her computer, almost ready to go to bed.  The window is open as it is a HOT night in Cali.  One bird sings VERY loudly, despite the fact that it is 12am::

Sigh......
that bird's lucky I can't tell which tree it's in...
Love, Sabrina
Forever remembered: Piper(4/19/03) Kaela(4/15/03) Ellie(5/19/02)

"You can be obsessed with remorse all your life, not because you chose the wrong thing... but because you never had the chance to prove to yourself that you would have chosen the right thing." U.Eco

mmm nicey bikkit

Offline Rachel

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2002, 03:16:57 AM »
heheh..how do you think *I* feel? It's 3:30 here, and there are several birds singing...nevermind me being depressed, the birds keep me up worse than anything =P I can never see them though! In the early spring/late winter, they would hop around on my AC(yes, I know, I never took it out of my window for the winter...hehe) every morning as soon as the sun started coming up, and sing, and the first couple times it was very cute, but it quickly got VERY old...

Anmllvr731

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2002, 09:12:25 PM »

I nearly wrung a goose's neck as well - stupid bird spent an HOUR one morning (at 5.30 am) doing this:

Honk honk honk honkhonkhonkhonkhonkhonkhonkhonkhonkhonkhonk

Get the idea?  Drew and I discussed recipes for goose, and he was going to go out and get it, until I pointed out that he had to put pants on.  We decided it wasn't worth the effort :)  Woe be to those who interrupt my sleep!    

*lol,lol,lol,lol, falling off the chair lol,lol,lol*

Offline mantricentity

• Rat Lover!
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2002, 04:37:32 AM »
I live next to a wildlife nature preserve. and I swear hundreds of little birds start their singing around 3 am, oh the horror. I can't have my windows open at night anymore because of them. I just bought a really loud fan and turn that on at night so nothing wakes me up, well mabye the dog when he decides to push you off the bed at 5 in the morning, oh the horrors of having a dog weigh as much as you who thinks they need more bed room than you.  The funny thing is the birds shut up around 10, to bad they don't start singing at 10 instead lol.
There is no such thing as an ugly pet, just a narrow mind.