Author Topic: Smaller cage suggestions  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Vallis

• World According to Nick
Smaller cage suggestions
« on: December 07, 2015, 09:32:38 PM »
I'm sure this has been covered before, but there are a ton of posts and it's hard to dig through them all, especially with updated information.

I currently have a modified Ferret Nation. Over time, as the rat population shrunk, I took off the second level of it and it is now one level. Now I'm down to 2-3 rats and and am in a small studio apartment without a bathroom/kitchen (it's a rezoned office building).

I am looking for a small cage to replace the Ferret Nation. I'm hoping for a cage that is easier to clean, such as paper towels and cleaner, or large wetwipes. It seems most cages are either built for hamsters in the easy to care far category, or large heavy wire affairs that get gunked up easily, like Martins.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Smaller cage suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 09:51:38 PM »
I cannot think of a cage easier to clean than a critter nation/ferret nation. Maybe you could use those big cement pan instead of fleece and use litter. At least it would be less laundry. You could wipe clean the pans with paper towel and 3% hydrogen peroxide. Many people (myself included) also use vinegar but since you won't able to rinse it off,I wouldn't do it. Vinegar has a strong smell and make my rats sneeze if I don't rinse it off well. I know some people use unscented baby wipes, I personnally never tried those.

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 01:15:39 AM »
Yup, the Ferret Nation has quite the footprint. It sounds like you may be in need of a cage that sits up off of the floor, like on a table or shelf.

If you only have a couple of rats, perhaps a rat manor?

...or a Martins?

You seem to have a negative opinion of Martin's cages. Are they more difficult to clean than other cages?

Offline Risika57

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dayton Coordinator for EARPS
    • Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 08:11:20 PM »
I've had all versions of cages, from the SP Exotics, to the cageworld flightcages converted to rat cages, to a Martin's 680, to Rat Manor, to Critter Nations.

For the smaller sizes? Go with a Martins. Throw it in the shower, close the curtain, turn your shower head on full blast, let it spray hot hot water onto it and steam it up for about 10 minutes, go back, spray it down with vinegar, let that sit for a bit, rinse off..and you're good to go.

Stephanie Johnson (stephanie@earps.org)
Ohio Coordinator
Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary
www.earps.org