Author Topic: Meet Pele My Brave Baby Girl  (Read 19087 times)

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
Meet Pele My Brave Baby Girl
« on: December 20, 2015, 10:05:49 AM »
Pele was born to a tiny young micro-eyed mom who was meant to feed a couples snake. The snake wasn't hungry so the young ratgirl got a reprieve, long enough to give birth to 9 pups. The wife of the couple decided that it was a sign and decided she had 24 hours to find this new family a home before they were returned back to the feeder bin.  Kaia linked me to the situation and I discovered she was a 15 minute walk from my home. :)
Mira and her babies came home and all was well for about 12 days. Then an orphaned litter had to join her and her family as I had the only nursing mom.
Pele at this point was “one of the PEW girls” without a name, I was worrying more about her tiny foster sister Lyra at this time.
This all changed when I took the extended family to my moms in the country for the weekend. I woke up at 3 am on the couch to a horrific shriek, rushed to the cage on the desk and found this little girl up in the corner gasping and bleeding from her face. I pulled her out, then moved the whole cage to a standalone table. I realized my mom must’ve had a wildie in the house who bit Pele's nose and yanked. :(  I stayed up with Pele in my hands or cuddled to my neck from then on. She was gasping and swallowing all that blood. I got pics of her a few hours later

She was so sore and swollen she was unable to nurse, eat or drink, and for a day or so I was very hesitant on trying to syringe anything into her as she was gasping. She preferred licking the formula off my finger.

But my brave, brave baby now named Pele ended up living on me when I was home, taking comfort in my hands, submitting to the nastiness of metacam and antibiotics, and after many scary up and downs started slowly coming around.

She became friends with a very elderly gentle boy called Nigel that she would share dinner with and cuddle up to.

It was around this time I started noticing some strange mannerisms. She was constantly flapping her gums and rolling her tongue out if her head. Often lifting her head up like a Hydro baby might. Seemed to have a disconnect between her mouth and her stiffly outstretched front legs, but wasn't clumsy in her hind leg scratching and was very deft at that. Once those waving front legs caught my finger, she was able to lick things off of it pretty well. Then 2 days ago she started sort of chewing a little.

Here are a few videos of my lovely baby…

Dec. 13th

Both of these are from Dec. 19th

So it looks like this will be an ongoing thread for my brave baby, who is learning to play, eat “solids” and get into a bit of trouble lol

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Meet Pele My Brave Baby Girl
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 01:10:49 PM »
Thanks for sharing, it is a great story. Poor Pele, but looks like she is doing better and she sure is in excellent care with you :heart: thanks for saving her mom.
I'm looking forward to hear her and her sibkings adventures  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 11:09:42 PM »
What a sweetie-pie!  That picture of Nigel being protective tugs hard at the heartstrings.  I hope she thrives and grows up to be a lovely lady rat.  Bless you for taking her mama in.

I had wildies in the apartment two winters ago (the apartment has since been sealed up, so no further problem, thank God!), and one of them bit half my beautiful sweet Lucy's tail off (fortunately I didn't know about it till it was over, or I'd have been a mess) and injured several other rats through the cage bars.  I believe she was ultimately responsible for the neurological damage that meant I had to put down my beautiful sweet Uriel, too.  (Either she beat him up while he was out of the cage, or he fell trying to get at her, is my theory.)
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 01:03:18 AM »
Do you guys believe it was bad luck you got wild rat in your house/apartment or did they got attracted by the scent of intact females?

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 08:19:31 AM »
Shelagh, Pele is adorable!  I'm glad she has you (and Nigel) to take care of her.  Bless you for taking her and her family!

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 09:11:32 AM »
Shelagh, Pele is adorable!  I'm glad she has you (and Nigel) to take care of her.  Bless you for taking her and her family!

Sadly Nigel passed a few days ago, but Pele has her family during the day and Me while at home trying to stuff soft food in her :). I will be keeping mom, tiny Lyra, protective foster sister Sila (different rescue baby who lives with the Extended Family) and Pele. The other babies are quite rough on her and will be adopted out :)

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 12:44:47 PM »
Do you guys believe it was bad luck you got wild rat in your house/apartment or did they got attracted by the scent of intact females?

I don't believe it was the scent of females, particularly, just of other rats.  My rats and the wild girls seemed to be very antagonistic and not friendly at all.  It was also partly luck, because I had no problem in previous years.  As a result of this experience, the landlord was motivated to seal up the outside holes in the building; he also has one of the maintenance men come an seal the holes in my apartment walls.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 12:49:13 PM »
What a sweet story. She is so lucky to have you. I am so sorry for your loss in losing Nigel. Hope everything works out for this extended rat family of yours.

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 01:26:44 PM »

Sadly Nigel passed a few days ago, but Pele has her family during the day and Me while at home trying to stuff soft food in her :). I will be keeping mom, tiny Lyra, protective foster sister Sila (different rescue baby who lives with the Extended Family) and Pele. The other babies are quite rough on her and will be adopted out :)

I'm so sorry to hear of Nigel's passing!  At least Pele has others to keep her company.

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 02:03:54 PM »
Her companions that are staying...

Mom - Mira (short for Miracle)

Lyra - the wee 'un who put me through fits with her runtiness :)

and Sila (a lucky pickup 2 weeks ago, bought as a baby feeder rat, but owner sold snake and had her left over.  She's only a little older than everyone else and is all rough play with healthy babies but cuddles and takes care of smaller or sickly babies :D)

She's the smeeze

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 02:04:48 PM »
Oh my!  Such a precious bunch!

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2015, 02:39:03 PM »
Oh my goodness, they are adorable!  I'm so sorry to hear about Nigel, though.  I was hoping he could help take care of Pele for a while.  At least you have all these cuties to console you.

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 09:59:46 AM »
So sorry to hear about Nigel. Glad to hear little Pele is making it, and so proud of mom, too.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 01:06:29 PM »
New pics from over Christmas :D

Standing on Lyra, while cuddled up on Grandma

Exploring!!

As Lyra watched

I'm Speshul!!

a little video of her

and her learning how to eat off of a flat surface on the ground...

She (and her 2 companions) are going to the vet tomorrow as her upper incisors are really messed up and I can smell faint infection smell.  You can see it here.

She's just a happy happy girl and nothing keeps her down!

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 01:52:20 PM »
OMG - so much adorable rattie tongue! Thud!

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »
More tongue :D

I am scared to death about tomorrow....  :-\

Offline gramma2jaakk

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 03:03:46 PM »
We'll be keeping you and Pele in our good thoughts.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 03:41:11 PM »
Oh, that tongue!  She is pretty darn special!  I hope the news at the vet is better than you expect tomorrow.

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 04:46:29 PM »
Good luck tomorrow!

That tongue is amazing. Were she mine, I'd be giving her stuff to lick all of the time!

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 05:37:17 PM »
How precious she is!! Aw good vibes for the vet visit. *scritches for all the ratties* :heart:
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline LuvRats2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2015, 07:45:33 PM »
I am so sorry about your loss with Nigel. Pele is absolutely precious, I am so glad she is feeling better. Seeing her pictures made my night, and the others are adorable as well. I hope that infection goes away quickly for her.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2015, 09:24:54 PM »
How did it go at the vet?  Prayers...
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2015, 12:16:44 PM »
The vet appointment was this morning and it went as well as can be expected :)  I didn't get the terrifying news that the bite had shattered her teeth and caused chunks to go into her sinus (been there, done that...never want to do it again).  Her teeth are nubs but solid nubs, so I am to feel those nubs every day or so to make sure they are still solid and not wiggly.  We put her on zithromax for 3 weeks for the infection and I will give her a bit of metacam.  The opposite side of the bite we are both pretty sure the cheek was fractured probably causing all the toothy issues.  She's in great shape overall and Dr Munn said I did an excellent job getting her to that type of health.  We are going to wait until she's at least 85 grams before attempting x-rays to see what's really going on.  He LOVED all the babies.  Had them climbing all over him and into his sleeves and onto his shoulders LOL

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 05:32:44 PM »
I'm glad that everything looks okay with her toofers.  I hope she heals up quick!  She's quite a character!

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 10:26:01 AM »
CongRATs! Isn't it amazing how these special cases find their way to you? Any idea how her cheek broke?
--Best, Mountaintop--