Author Topic: Meet Pele My Brave Baby Girl  (Read 20328 times)

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Meet Pele My Brave Baby Girl
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2016, 06:26:25 PM »
She lives with Sila, Lyra and her mom Mira who is her favourite sleep mate :)

Offline LuvRats2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2016, 07:59:08 PM »
Aww Lilspaz, she is looking so beautiful!  :thumbsup2: You just have to smile looking at her pics.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2016, 10:47:20 PM »
She looks awesome!  Such a darling girl.  :)

Offline homebody

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2016, 09:35:41 PM »
I haven't logged into the forum in a while, and it's been ages since my last post, but little Pele is worth it. I adore her.  :heart:

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2016, 09:40:55 PM »
How is Pele doing now? I hope she is doing great:)

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2016, 10:51:50 PM »
Pele is wonderful...thanks for asking!!  Her mom on the other hand has been dealing with a persistent sinus infection then the back went crunk last week and she's been taking care of me. 

On Thursday I drop Pele and her mom Mira off so Pele can have her teeth trimmed and that skull x-rayed so we know what we are really dealing with. She still sneezes and snorts but I think/hope its because of damaged sinuses not anything more serious.

She's a biiiig girl now of 132 grams and I finally screwed up the courage to get that x-ray done.  Her lower incisors are very overgrown and she'll have to get her first trim, and most likely will be getting them all her life along with my other toothy rat monster I named Teefs. Teefs is less than a year, so she and Pele will probably go in for years to come...every 3 weeks :P

But onto the best part...the pics...

She loves to be in my hand....no matter if she has to shove her way under. She's slept in my hands many times, or under my chin :)

A little roomier

My pretty gal

Comforting and keeping her Mom company when she was sick

Offline LuvRats2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2016, 12:34:33 PM »
She is growing up so beautiful!!! :)

And I hope your back is feeling better. Praying the x-ray comes back positively for you both!

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2016, 04:25:17 PM »
Aww Pele has been doing great given the circumstances. It has been tough for both of you. I hope you will feel better soon and that Pele X-rays will be encouraging. Looking forward to the next Pele update:)

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2016, 06:40:59 AM »
Last night I was trying to see super squirmy girl's lower incisors and one of her upper incisors came off in my fingers!! It's got black bits and its hollow so must have rotted out :(

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2016, 08:05:21 AM »
Wild! That looks like a dirty cat claw! She is so cute. Isn't it amazing how with crushed skull, infected tooth etc. she so loves life?
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2016, 10:29:13 AM »
Wild! That looks like a dirty cat claw! She is so cute. Isn't it amazing how with crushed skull, infected tooth etc. she so loves life?

it really really is!

Here's her bottom incisors, I had to clip them last week at home because I found one embedded in her lip so couldn't leave it to hurt her and get infected.  Poor baby.

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2016, 09:23:23 PM »
OK home from the vet, Pelee is sleeping in my lap so of course I have the laptop down on my legs akwardly so I don't disturb her rest.

She got her x-ray, and there was no fracture, it seems her skull grew this way from the bite/damage since she was still growing when it happened. Her top incisors were fractured and now both have come out...but you can still see a lot of tooth root deep inside which could end up causing future problems with infections etc.  Her bottom incisors will need trims very often and I assume that I will be packing up her and my other toothy wonder called Teefs who gets her maloccluded teeth trimmed every 3-3.5 weeks.

The bite caused brain damage so the disconnect with her mouth and her awkward grasp is more likely permanent.  She may be on baytril to prevent infection for the rest of her life, and I'll be trying metacam starting tomorrow to see if she is getting relief from discomfort.

Its kind of what I expected but at least we know what we are dealing with now.

Her bottom teeth look great and there's no infection as of yet in the tops.

We were sooo happy to be reunited! They brought out the small cage she and her mom were in and as soon as she heard my voice she was climbing the bars to get to me :|LOL

Pele kisses are the best  :heart: :heart:

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2016, 10:50:46 PM »
At least the x-rays gave you some answers!  We will hope and pray that those upper tooth roots grow out normally, and she ends up with perfect little toofers!

She is such a sweet girl, and definitely a mama's girl!

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2016, 11:12:47 AM »
My vet used to take pics of the x-rays and email them to me, but the clinic has changed, much too busy for those little details now :(  I asked if the next time I am in, i could bring my camera and take pics of the x-ray myself. :P

Her family got a new addition (a huge neutered black berk boy who is/was scared of other rats) but seems very content with his new wee squirmy family, and is actually playing with the little girls. Pele is often sleeping cuddled up to his side...they are quite the pair!

Old pic of Franky from last year...he looks pretty much the same, just a bit bigger and not as worried about things.

Happy Pele exploring

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2016, 01:23:30 PM »
Franky is GORGEOUS! Franky and Pele sitting in a tree, B R U X I N G!
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2016, 09:56:31 AM »
We have a BIG problem Houston...

Pele had her teeth trimmed short on Thursday afternoon right?  The gums at the back of the incisors are higher than the front so the teeth were trimmed down to the back gumline.  I checked them on Thursday night during our many "OMG I missed you cuddles"

Last night she was flapping away when I saw something...

I grabbed her and managed to get a pic...this is her teeth FOUR days later...FOUR.  :shocked2:

Ummmm....she might need them trimmed weekly...trying to reach my vet but he's very sick and might not be in at all this week...  :puppy_dog_eyes:

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2016, 02:22:29 PM »
 Whoa just 4 days!!! Poor Pele.
That hasn't nothing to do with the bite, does it?
Do you think you could learn to do the teeth trimmings at home?
At least she has you, what a lucky rat:)

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2016, 08:38:55 AM »
Well, you had Teefs. Now you have Phangs.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2016, 10:27:03 AM »
I think they called my vet at home (he's been horribly sick all week) and told him about Pele (or emailed pics) and I managed to get an appointment with him at 9:15 am on Friday morning.  *whew*

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2016, 11:39:04 AM »
I of course forgot to bring my camera so I could get pics of her skull X-ray.

So her options aren't great. We trimmed her bottom teeth down again and are going to watch for the same crazy growth. We are hoping the growth slows down as she ages (she's only 3.5 mo) as surgery to remove those healthy bottom teeth could be quite life and death because of the possibility of jaw fracture. So for now we trim weekly and see how it goes. I got a nice surprise when I got my bill, the trims will be heavily discounted  :thumbsup2:

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2016, 12:06:02 PM »
I hope she will be ok and that eventually her teeth stop growing so fast. Good to know about the discount, so you won't have to break the bank. Is the super fast growth of her teeth due to the fracture or would she have had it anyway?

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2016, 02:37:24 PM »
Hooray for a discount!  I hope the growth slows down once she gets a little older. 

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2016, 04:53:13 PM »
Azizi could only go 2 weeks between trims, and I took him in as an adult, so I'm always shocked when I hear about people who can go a month in between trims!  Hopefully your girl's growth slows down.

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2016, 08:44:43 AM »
I looked at Pele's teeth last night (same 4 day mark) and one is growing faster than the other...sigh. She and Teefs are booked in for Friday drop off.

Teefs teeth are getting worse. Her right upper tusk has black spots on it usually indicating it's rotting inside. Her bottom incisors are growing up to her lip faster than normal. Friday will be 3 weeks on the nose but it might even be too late.

I got 2 pics (1 blurry) showing her teeth yesterday of which I can't post on my phone...grrr. I'll post when I get to work.

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2016, 10:12:32 AM »