Author Topic: We've Remodeled the Rat Room  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
We've Remodeled the Rat Room
« on: December 28, 2015, 04:24:07 PM »
Over the holidays, we (and by we, I primarily mean my husband) did a complete makeover of the rat room. We hid the sump pump behind a wall with some closet storage space, painted, changed the light fixture to nice LED fixtures with a dimmer switch to control the amount of light, and installed a waterproof laminate flooring (like Pergo, but made of vinyl). He did such a nice job, I just had to share. The end results are shown below:

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: We've Remodeled the Rat Room
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 05:11:29 PM »
It looks great, I'm so jealous :yelcutelaugh:
I see you have tons of rat stuff too, I can't believe how much stuff I bought my rats in less than 2 years, how do they manage to make us buy so much stuff for them?
I like the toddler toys you have for them to play with, do rats like them? I looked at some toddler toys but was quite expensive and not sure what kind rats love best...
Anyway, great job!

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 05:55:13 PM »
Thank you for sharing these photos with us! Your set-up is inspiring. Is the cage in the back corner for the rats when they've misbehaved?

(the sideways CN-turned-birdcage up against the wall makes me feel like I'm watching a Lionel Richie video)

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 06:31:05 PM »
Vonda, it looks wonderful!  Would your husband be interested in tackling my place, perhaps?  LOL!

. . . I can't believe how much stuff I bought my rats in less than 2 years, how do they manage to make us buy so much stuff for them?
. . .

ILMR, it is their powers of adorability and cuteness that they use to take over our minds. :bow:  And what do we care?  They're our ratties, they deserve the best!  :yelcutelaugh:
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 10:48:52 PM »
I see you have tons of rat stuff too, I can't believe how much stuff I bought my rats in less than 2 years, how do they manage to make us buy so much stuff for them?
I like the toddler toys you have for them to play with, do rats like them?

The Imaginext Castle and Imaginext Gorilla Mountain were toys my boys had when they were little. All of the rats have liked to climb these and go through the doors when they were small. However, when they get bigger, they become less interested (and also less agile). I sometimes set them up around the little end table and they will climb up them to get up on the table. They do like the Thomas train station depot a lot, but I probably shouldn't have let them play in it as they have chewed it pretty good. The Thomas stuff is expensive, but again, it was just something we had from when the boys were little and it was too tempting to let them play in it. I don't think I would pay retail for any of these things for the rats as boxes and tubes are just as fun, but if you can find things like this cheap second hand at a garage sale, then they can be worth it.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 10:51:30 PM »
Is the cage in the back corner for the rats when they've misbehaved?

Ha ha! No, that is my Martins R695. I use that for quarantine because it is easier to move from place to place than a Critter Nation. It is empty most of the time, so it got shoved in the little alcove. At least I don't have to take it apart to store.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 11:16:47 PM »
Would your husband be interested in tackling my place, perhaps?  LOL!

He needs to dig our house out of the dumpster first, ha ha! - all the construction garbage from this project is filling our house and garage! My van is parked in the driveway in freezing rain, sleet, and snow because the garage is filled with old plywood and ceiling tiles and flooring scraps. But the rat room is beautiful so I think I will just live with the rats for a while and pretend the rest of the house doesn't exist. You know who lives like kings in our house - no joke!

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 05:15:23 AM »
Wow great job on that! I love the cheerful paint color and the flooring looks great! I would love a space like this. Lucky ratties.  :thumbsup2:
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline Mischief Mistress

• Posts Too Much!
  • I <3 My Rats.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 11:11:59 PM »
I absolutely love it!
Mom to 2 kids
Lactation Consultant
Student Nurse!
Army Veteran!

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 04:59:51 PM »
Just. Wow.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline packratties

• The Pack Rat
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 10:39:54 PM »
One day I'll have a room devoted to my ratties - for now they have a walk in closest >.<

Offline LuvRats2

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 02:56:50 PM »
Vonda, that room is seriously awesome!! I am going to show my hubby so he can get some ideas  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline Rastina

• Ritten
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 11:11:54 PM »
This is the stuff of dreams.