Author Topic: How to get pee smell out of rat laundry?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline killybutt

• kilcodocostumes on etsy - hammocks, plushies and more!
How to get pee smell out of rat laundry?
« on: January 03, 2016, 02:32:15 AM »
Does anybody on the forum have any advice/tips on how to best clean rattie laundry? Long story short I had a total of 8 unaltered male ratties over the past 5 years and had always washed their fleece floor covers and hammocks in a hot wash with Gain detergent. Even though the hammocks and such are "clean" they still have the odor of male rats - I just recently adopted a male rescue and I'd like to put him in the big cage where my boys used to live, but would like to eradicate as much of the smell of the other males as I can. Are there any tricks to smelly rat laundry? Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 02:37:20 AM by killybutt »

http://etsy.com/shop/kilcodocostumes
custom-made animal plushies, backpacks, and hammocks!

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
Re: How to get pee smell out of rat laundry?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 04:36:24 PM »
A pre-soak with a cup of vinegar in it, followed by a cup of vinegar in the final rinse will help a lot.  If the smell has already been set by previous washes, you might not be able to get it all out, but you should still notice an improvement.  I have also read that hot water tends to leave uric acid in the items rather than remove it, so try a warm or cold wash instead.  You might try an enzyme stain remover, but you would have to wash the items a second time to be sure to get out all the enzyme.  We don't usually recommend either bleach or enzyme powder for rat laundry, because of the potential to irritate the rats' lungs.  But for a one-time use, a second wash (you don't even need to put anything in the water the second time) should do a lot to get all the enzyme out so it won't hurt the rats.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  2m1f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 05:54:15 PM »
I think you may have a hard time if the smell has set in. I always try to get the smell out before the dryer because the heat of the dryer can set in the urine stains and it can be very hard to remove after that. And if the hammocks and liners have been in storage for a while and still smell, then it may be set in by now. It doesn't hurt to try, but keep your expectations in check.

You may be best off making a new set of hammocks and liners for the new guy if you want to be sure there is no smell left behind. Rats have sensitive noses and even if you can't smell it, he may be able to (although if you can't smell it, it shouldn't hurt him any).

Offline mutewolf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 03:06:06 AM »
I always do a cold wash with Arm & Hammer non scented detergent and a cup of vinegar. If they're real bad or I didn't wash them right away, I'll run a second cycle. Like the others side, dry carefully because the heat really sets it in. I found line drying in the sun often helped if you're able to do it/wait the extra time.

Offline Mischief Mistress

• Posts Too Much!
  • I <3 My Rats.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 11:10:11 PM »
Vinegar in the wash and rinse and line dry outside.
Mom to 2 kids
Lactation Consultant
Student Nurse!
Army Veteran!