Author Topic: So excited  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Mischief Mistress

• Posts Too Much!
  • I <3 My Rats.
So excited
« on: January 08, 2016, 01:05:24 AM »
Just bought a wobust wheel and a space pod!! I bought the wheel through mainly rat rescue,and the space pod for 8.99 on amazon prime. Such good deals, can't wait.  :hyper:
Mom to 2 kids
Lactation Consultant
Student Nurse!
Army Veteran!

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: So excited
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 01:15:48 AM »
My male rat love the wobust wheel, my females never wanted to use it, they have two stealth wheels instead. Ratties and their preferences  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 04:55:52 PM »
I once had seven, including big neuters, in a space pod. No idea how. Can't really prove it because the best angle we could get on it only showed evidence of three.

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r529/judimain/Mosie%20and%20Friends/IMG_0192_zps3fc24ce3.jpg[img]
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 12:31:18 AM »
I'm excited for you mischief, Mischief!

Everyone's rats seem to love the space pod.

Do your boys currently use a wheel? (mine seem to ignore the cheap 'tester' wheel I bought them)

• Posts Too Much!
  • I <3 My Rats.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 12:40:40 AM »
They've never had a wheel because I know the cheapies from experience are not great. I had a silent spinner once but when it arrived in the mail it was cracked so it was kind of junky.
Mom to 2 kids
Lactation Consultant
Student Nurse!
Army Veteran!

• Posts Too Much!
  • I <3 My Rats.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 08:55:27 PM »

Tada!!
Mom to 2 kids
Lactation Consultant
Student Nurse!
Army Veteran!

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 10:21:38 PM »
Looks great! :thumbsup2: I bet they are loving them!
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 11:37:58 PM »
Is it a pee rock or maybe to help with nail trimming?

• Posts Too Much!
  • I <3 My Rats.
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 09:03:39 AM »
Both :) And boy do they pee on it!
Mom to 2 kids
Lactation Consultant
Student Nurse!
Army Veteran!

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 10:05:00 AM »
I once tried a rock in their litter boxes, didn't work well...maybe it was too small? What kind of rock are you using, and are you able to clean it well with all the cracks?

• Posts Too Much!
  • I <3 My Rats.
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 10:47:54 AM »
Just a regular big rock I found in my backyard. It also helps hold the fleece down and prevents them from pulling up the towels underneath. I use a big scrub brush with dish soap and it works fine. I do imagine one day or maybe once a month I will submerge it in a vinegar solution in the sink for a while. I want to litter box train them, just trying to get my mind around the ridiculous price for the one I want.
Mom to 2 kids
Lactation Consultant
Student Nurse!
Army Veteran!

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 12:21:49 PM »
I want to litter box train them, just trying to get my mind around the ridiculous price for the one I want.

?

What sort of fancy litter box is this? Does it have robot arms that reach out to collect the stray raisins?

• Posts Too Much!
  • I <3 My Rats.
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 04:00:03 PM »
Mom to 2 kids
Lactation Consultant
Student Nurse!
Army Veteran!

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 04:15:09 PM »
Thanks!

I use Pyrex as litter box. The reason is that all the plastic litter boxes I used would stink after a while no matter how often I washed them. The plastic absorbs some of the smells of the poop and pee. Plus I figure if the plastic absorb some of that smell, it could absorb some of the disinfectant smell too if left in it overnight... I like it also because it is more sturdy than plastic so it stays put without having to attach it to the cage.

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 06:32:35 PM »
Yeah, those grated pans get pretty expensive, especially if the cage is large enough that one pan won't cut it.

The recycled newsprint cat litter bags are bigger and cheaper than the bags marketed for small pets. I've got three pans in the boys cage (mostly because my oldest doesn't seem to get the concept) and a big bag of Fresh News cat litter lasts me a really long time.

I use Pyrex as litter box. The reason is that all the plastic litter boxes I used would stink after a while no matter how often I washed them. The plastic absorbs some of the smells of the poop and pee. Plus I figure if the plastic absorb some of that smell, it could absorb some of the disinfectant smell too if left in it overnight... I like it also because it is more sturdy than plastic so it stays put without having to attach it to the cage.

I haven't had any issues with the plastic smelling. Probably because the boys pee everywhere but the litter pan. I need to follow Mischief Mistress' lead by putting a pee rock in their pans. ...this might cause me to have to switch to pyrex, though.

• Posts Too Much!
  • I <3 My Rats.
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 07:00:34 PM »
I have plenty of small Pyrex! Thanks for the idea! I did plan on using yesterdays news.
Mom to 2 kids
Lactation Consultant
Student Nurse!
Army Veteran!

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 07:06:10 PM »
I think I read yesterday news had saw dust in it and that could mean pine and cedar which would be bad for rats. It is only recently that they added that to their product. I apologize if I got that wrong. Anyone?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 07:10:51 PM by ILoveMyRatties »

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 03:33:18 PM »
Yesterday's News used to be 100% recycled newspaper, but a few years ago an alert Goosemooser noticed that it stopped saying 100%.  She checked, and sure enough, YN admitted to putting in factory floor sweepings, which could contain anything, including pine or cedar or other softwood sawdust.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

• Posts Too Much!
  • I <3 My Rats.
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 11:13:46 PM »
Update on the wodent wheel, I've been seeing them use it!
And I went to the thrift store to pick up an appropriate sized pyrex and this is the litter I'm using.
Mom to 2 kids
Lactation Consultant
Student Nurse!
Army Veteran!

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 01:13:03 PM »
I saw over in the Critter Nation thread that you've set up the pyrex litterbox! How's it going?

• Posts Too Much!
  • I <3 My Rats.
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 03:42:59 PM »
Pretty great actually. They normally poop along the back wall of the cage where the pyrex glass is. Everyday I just pick up the raisins and put them in there, but I'm having to do that less and less. And they've never pooped on the shelf anyway. :) Coming along nicely! There is also a pee rock in their too. I only cleaned the cage yesterday. Which is a means it lasted 9 days without smelling versus the usual 6-7. :)
Mom to 2 kids
Lactation Consultant
Student Nurse!
Army Veteran!

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 04:57:09 PM »
I also noticed my rats will pee against the Pyrex (inside and out) they never did that with a plastic litter box- so it keep the rest of the cage cleaner. Happy it is working for you. The Pyrex also doesn't absorb smells like a plastic litter would, so you should notice a difference because of that too;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 05:01:58 PM by ILoveMyRatties »