Author Topic: Is anyone using the Prevue Hendryx 485 cage?  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Bateluer

Is anyone using the Prevue Hendryx 485 cage?
« on: January 28, 2016, 07:46:02 PM »
I've been eyeing this cage for a while, but the 7/8in bar spacing makes me wary. From the reviews on Amazon, seems people are using it for rats, and there's a number of Youtube videos with rats in this cage. Thinking it'd probably be fine for mature rats, but for younger rats, that bar spacing is likely too wide. I've got two year old rescue girls at present.

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000QFMYWQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3P0ILOE51WKDV&coliid=I1BM6YFXOBBX86

Also been looking at the Midwest CritterNation, which is slightly larger at 36 x 24 x 63 inches vs 31 x 20 x 54 inches on the Prevue. Both are a step up from the Martin's R-680, measuring 30" x 18" x 24" with 1/2in bar spacing.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
Re: Is anyone using the Prevue Hendryx 485 cage?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 08:50:06 PM »
I would recommend going with the Critter Nation cage over the Preview Hendryx. The Preview Hendryx has the following drawbacks:

1. Bar spacing is too wide for small rats. Even if it works for you now, it may not work for you if you take in new rats.
2. Only the right side door opens. This means it will be harder to clean and accessorize the left half.
3. The bottom and middle level are wire grate. This is not safe for the rats. You will need to cover them with something.
4. The ramps are made of plastic which will not provide the same grip as the metal ramps in the CN.
5. The shelves are only quarter length shelves rather than half length shelves like in the CN, so you don't get as much floor space - the larger shelves of the CN are really nice as you can put larger accessories on them or put more smaller accessories.

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 01:50:32 AM »
Besides the too-wide bar spacing on the Preview Hendryx (which completely prohibits you from putting youngins in the cage without jerry-rigging hardware cloth over the entire thing), the bars are vertical. Your rats won't be able to climb. The bars on the Critter Nation and the Martin's cages are made for climbing.

Most people seem to be huge fans of the double Critter Nation (at the dimensions you've cited). This cage is a bit more expensive than the Preview cage. I've seen the double Critter Nation on sale for as low as $170. If you're not in a hurry, you can routinely check various sources and wait for a good deal. Second-hand cages can also be found on Craigslist (I wouldn't spend more than $100 on a used double).

With only two girls, the single Critter Nation is probably plenty of space while still coming in around the same price as the Preview cage. Obviously, the single doesn't have the same climbing height as the double. This also means that you have to bend down to open the cage every time you take them out or give them treats or fill their bowls or change their litter boxes. Personally, this doesn't really bother me at all. I love the single Critter Nation. I really do. It really is a whole lot of cage. If a bunch more rats enter your life, an add-on can always be purchased to turn it into a double.

At roughly the same cost as the Hendryx and the single Critter Nation is the Martin's 695 (powder coated) which is 30x18x36. I'd love to hear more from a Martin's advocate. One benefit that I see is that the cages can sit on a table or shelf, unlike the Critter Nation and Preview cages which require open floor space.

Just looking at interior cage size;

Double Critter Nation is roughly 24 sq ft.
Preview Hendryx is around 15 sq ft.
Single Critter nation is about 12 sq ft.
Martin's 695 is just over 11 sq ft.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:57:15 AM by Michael C »

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 10:00:33 AM »
I have the Martins R695 as well as 3 DCNs. One DCN has been modified and is being used for birds at the moment and the other two are combined into a quad with 6 rats. The Martins is empty in a corner.

Martins and DCNs are both excellent cages, but they are suited to different people. I use the Martins for quarantine because I can easily take it to another location without assembly/disassembly. I prefer the DCN for everyday use because of the spacious nature of the cage, the fully opening doors, and the ability to combine cages in various ways. Right now, I have two cages setup as a quad. Or I can separate them into individual cages. Or I can put up ramps and separate top and bottom. So I have a lot of ways I can configure the cages when I have groups that cannot be put together yet.

Advantages of the Martins would include portability when you have to move from location to location or room to room, the ability to use the shower to clean the cage without having to worry about rusting, the ability to collapse the cage when not in use - if you put it together with zip ties,  and a smaller footprint if you don't have enough space for a larger cage.

Disadvantages of the Martins include the smaller doors which can make it harder to reach certain areas (they are still a nice size compared with other wire cages, though), the complexity of latching and unlatching all four door latches every time you want to interact with the ratties, and the smaller overall space (there are some accessories that are just too large for a Martins cage - like the tree stump hide) and smaller shelves.

The only disadvantage of the DCN (aside from size if you are limited in space and mobility) is its propensity to rust. I wish they could do a better job with the powder coating or I wish a similar cage could be made out of something like stainless steel. Then it would be the perfect cage.

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 10:12:11 AM »
*cubic feet. My cage measurements are in cubic feet*

...sorry, I woke up thinking about this.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 04:59:32 PM »
*cubic feet. My cage measurements are in cubic feet*

...sorry, I woke up thinking about this.

Glad you caught that!  I was going to say . . . .  :BlueDumboSmile:
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Bateluer

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 07:07:45 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I like that I can easily pick up my R680, dump the pan into the trash, and put the whole thing into the tub for a thorough cleaning. Not sure if I can do that with the CN as easily or at all.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 07:12:01 PM »
You do not want to do that with a CN. First, you'd have to completely dissemble the cage, which is something you don't want to do on a routine basis. Second, water will get inside the panels and it will rust from the inside out. If you want to clean the cage in the tub, you probably want to stick with Martins cages.

Offline Bateluer

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 01:23:15 PM »
You do not want to do that with a CN. First, you'd have to completely dissemble the cage, which is something you don't want to do on a routine basis. Second, water will get inside the panels and it will rust from the inside out. If you want to clean the cage in the tub, you probably want to stick with Martins cages.

So how do you do a thorough cleaning on the CNs?

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 05:47:57 PM »

So how do you do a thorough cleaning on the CNs?

Well, you certainly don't do one every week.  The thing is on wheels, so you could wheel it outside and hose it down.  The other option would be to disassemble it and wash the pieces in the tub.  But although you can put a CN/DCN together and take it apart without tools, it's not something you want to be doing all the time. The real concern is that the frames are square tubes so you want to avoid getting the insides wet, and you want to be sure that they are fully dry before reassembling the cage.  Fortunately, the wide doors give access to the full width of the levels, so you can do a fairly thorough clean without going to drastic lengths.

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 07:22:24 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I like that I can easily pick up my R680, dump the pan into the trash, and put the whole thing into the tub for a thorough cleaning. Not sure if I can do that with the CN as easily or at all.

Yeah, that doesn't work with a Critter Nation.

I think BigBen and Vonda are right. Soaking or hosing down a Critter Nation would lead to quick rust.

I wipe down the bars of the Critter Nation during weekly cleanings. Every three to four weeks, I disassemble the cage entirely and mist each section separately with vinegar, then hydrogen peroxide, and wipe dry. It sounds like a time consuming process but it actually doesn't take that long. The cage comes apart pretty easily.  I leisurely do a thorough cage cleaning and do rat laundry over the course of watching a movie.

While it can't really be hosed down, the full size doors on the Critter Nation make the regular cleanings really quick and easy. Everything comes in and out of the cage super fast. Fleece liners and litter boxes can also help to decrease cleaning time.

Offline Bateluer

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2016, 04:16:56 PM »
Hmm. Maybe I'd be better off with one of the larger Martin's models then. I like the CNs, plenty spacious, but the easy cleaning of the Martins is hard to ignore. A powdered coated R-695 with the flip top lid is 150 before shipping, much less than the normal pricing of the CN.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 01:31:15 AM »
In my opinion, you really can't go wrong either way.  Midwest and Martin's both make excellent cages.  Go with whichever is going to meet your needs the best.

BTW, if you do get the Martin's, I would suggest putting it together with cable ties instead of the metal C-rings that Martin's provides.  That will make disassembling it (for transport, or whatever) much less tedious.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 01:35:18 AM by BigBen »