Author Topic: Deep cleaning  (Read 854 times)

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
Deep cleaning
« on: February 01, 2016, 06:20:35 PM »
I know I've seen this on here before, but a search turned up a lot of posts with people saying "I deep cleaned my cage and rearranged it!" without any tips on deep cleaning :yelcutelaugh:

My friend is rehoming his rats and is GIVING me his lightly used Martin's 680 :hyper: I'm so excited. Anyway, I'll need to deep clean it as it's been sitting for a while, except I've only ever deep cleaned my own rat's cage, never one coming from other rats, so I've not worried too much about getting every germ off :P What's the best way to deep clean for someone who gags at the smell of vinegar and gets light headed from the smell of bleach? I assume doing this outside is my best bet, but if there's another cleaning solution I can use that won't make me woozy, that would be super.
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
Re: Deep cleaning
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 06:47:14 PM »
Mix the vinegar with peroxide.  It will cut the smell, and they will combine to form peracetic acid, which is a stronger antiseptic than either vinegar or hydrogen peroxide alone.  And it decomposes back into peroxide and vinegar, so it is non-toxic, as well.  So you don't have to worry about harming the rats if you don't quit rinse it all off--which is not the case with bleach!
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  2m1f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 07:50:31 PM »
Excellent, thank you! I take it that's a 1:1 solution of hydrogen peroxide/vinegar?
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 08:40:54 PM »
Yeah, but it doesn't need to be precise.  I just put in enough peroxide to make the vinegar smell go away, so I don't choke on it, and it seems to work out to more or less one to one.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 10:54:07 PM »
BigBen- I couldn't find one source that said it was safe to mix vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in a single container. It is fine to spray one, then the other- that is using them in two spray bottles. It says that Paracetic acid is u stable and can explode! I'm guessing g it would be ok to maybe mix it and use it right away, but letting them sit in a same container for weeks wouldn't be. Do you have a website that says it is ok to mix those 2 in a closed container? I know that spraying one than the other is safe.
Thanks.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 10:48:55 PM »
I never bother to mix them beforehand, I just apply them one after the other and let them mix on the surface I'm cleaning.  That seems to be good enough.