Author Topic: Themed Cage Ideas  (Read 738 times)

Offline pumpkin_princess

Themed Cage Ideas
« on: February 04, 2016, 04:16:07 PM »
 :wave2: Hi guys!! So I posted recently in tales and mugshots about how I am a rat mom again after 8 years of owning little ones and about 3 years of not owning little ones. But, one of my biggest excitements with these girls is that I finally got a double critter nation for the first time!! I used to have a similar sized cage made for ferrets, but it was not nearly as nicely made as the double critter nation and had terrible bar spacing and much less shelf floor area. So this new cage is like heaven to me haha.

Anyways, after a successful trip to Goodwill today for my first real round of rat shopping since I've gotten Iris and Uma, I decided it would be really fun to try out themed cages once and while this time! So far my ideas are Dinosaur theme and Under the Sea theme. So I found quite a few stuffed animals of t-rexs and triceratops for my dino cage and my Grandmother gave me some different shades of green fabric for shelf lining. Then I also found some stuffed sharks, dolphins, and crabs as well as some blue fabric for my under the sea theme.

This post though is wondering about what kind of themes you guys do in your cages??? And also I am wondering what kinds of things you put in your cages that are theme related. Like any ideas for unique themed cage accessories and toys.  :BlueDumboSmile: Pictures are also a great idea for this post!!! haha
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 04:18:22 PM by pumpkin_princess »
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby."

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
Re: Themed Cage Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 05:41:00 PM »
When I had rats who didn't demolish anything fabric, I did holidays - Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's Day, etc.

I still kind of do this, but I have to use all plastic stuff I find at the dollar store because prett hammocks and liners get shredded in about half an hour  ::)

You could do a 'barnyard' theme! Should be able to find plenty at goodwill for that.

I've never heard of putting stuffed animals in rat cages - aren't you worried they'll chew into it? I would be... Then again, anything remotely soft gets shredded, so... :yelcutelaugh:
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
Re: Themed Cage Ideas
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 07:10:24 PM »
If you do put stuffed animals in the cage, I would recommend opening a seam, pulling out all the fiberfill, replacing it with tiny shredded fleece scraps, and sewing back closed again. The fiberfill usually contains tiny little strings that can get wrapped around a ratty hand/foot/toe and cut off circulation.

I have done all the holidays and seasons (Winter, Valentines Day, St Patricks Day, Easter, Spring, Summer, Independence Day, Halloween, Fall, Thanksgiving, Christmas). I have also done other themes like Doctor Who, School, Farm Harvest, Lab Rat, Rats and Cheese, Pirates, Forest, etc. I'd like to do a Medieval theme with castles, dragons, knights etc - if I could find the right fabric (sort of Game of Thrones thing).