Author Topic: Looking to adopt  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Chasiti40

Looking to adopt
« on: February 28, 2016, 02:51:48 AM »
I live in Bedford VA  and i just adopted 2 very very sweet liitle girls they are 7 weeks old and  me and my children love playing with them and i would love to welcome 2 more to my house hold would like 2 little boys. if any one is or around bedford  va please let me know
Love my ratties

Offline gawgeouspaws

Re: Looking to adopt
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 08:05:06 AM »
Are your little ladies spayed/do you intend on spaying them? Or do you intend to neuter any new boys you bring in? It's possible to keep the two sexes intact under one roof, but it can be difficult, especially with kids. Rats are very crafty, so if one of the boys smelled a lady in heat, he'd do just about anything to get to her. Then all of a sudden you have anywhere up to 15 little babies born to a very, very young momma that you have to find homes for. Plus, you'd never be able to let the boys and girls play with each other if they were all intact, because it only takes a second for rats to - er - "get busy" and make babies.

Also, spaying and neutering can have great benefits! Spaying cuts down on the high risk of mammary tumors in girls (I lost both of my girls, Henrietta and Penelope, to tumors). Neutering reduces the natural fragrance, let's call it, of male rats. It can also make the boys' urine smell less, little to no "buck grease" (orange, oily substance) will develop in their coats, their coats might be a little softer (I've found that my boys have rougher, hairier coats than the girls ever did), and most importantly of all, you'll never have to worry about their hormones kicking in during their "teenage years". Sometimes hormones will take a sweet baby boy and turn him into a nasty, puffy, sewer rat, oddly enough. Neutering checks that testosterone for them.

Plus, being able to keep the guys and gals in the same cage is cost-effective, as long as it's the right size for all of them!

As for adopting, I would check places like PetFinder (this is how I found the rescue I adopted my rattie brothers from), FaceBook, or Craigslist. However, you have to be careful, Craigslist is FULL of a bunch of "backyard breeders" who churn litters of babies out with no regard for the genes they're breeding into those babies or the health of their rats. And I don't know how far you're willing to drive, but I think PetFinder showed a result for some sweet baby boys up in Winchester, VA. There's about five to choose from, all real sweethearts. I know it's a ways from Bedford; my boys were way up in Northern Maryland and I'm from Richmond, so that drive was a bit of a road trip.

You're right to ask about little boy ratties, having them from babies makes it easier for them to bond with you. I had my girls from when they were 5-6 weeks old, and we were inseparable. These newest boys I adopted when they were five months old, and I'm still working on getting them to trust me and having them comfortable with being picked up.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 08:14:33 AM by gawgeouspaws »
currently snuggling mario
rip henrietta, penelope, and angus
came back to this forum again as of 1/23/2017

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 04:57:54 PM »
In your area check out Dakota's Dream rescue:  http://dakotasdream.webs.com/

But ditto what the above poster said about not having intact males & females in the same house.  It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Offline Chasiti40

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 05:27:48 PM »
Thanks for all the advice does anyone know of a vet in area near me that will take rat patients
Love my ratties

Offline Chasiti40

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 05:31:37 PM »
In your area check out Dakota's Dream rescue:  http://dakotasdream.webs.com/

But ditto what the above poster said about not having intact males & females in the same house.  It's a disaster waiting to happen.

I tried to pull up the Web site u gave me but it won't work
Love my ratties

Offline gawgeouspaws

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 06:50:29 PM »
Thanks for all the advice does anyone know of a vet in area near me that will take rat patients

I don't know of any in particular, but after some googling for exotic vets I found the Lake Forest Animal Hospital in Forest, VA, and the Banfield Pet Hospital in Roanoke, VA. I don't know if either of those do rat surgery, you'd have to call and ask.

I tried to pull up the Web site u gave me but it won't work

To make it easier on you, here's the direct link to their adoptable pet list: https://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelterid=VA559

Those boys I told you about are actually from Dakota's Dream. Here's the link to them: https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/34490369

Offline Chasiti40

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 08:39:26 PM »
Thanks for the help I looked it up and they have 3 beautiful little girls what is the adoption process cause they r like 2 hrs or more away from me
Love my ratties

Offline gawgeouspaws

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 09:34:23 PM »
They have a small animal adoption form that you have to fill out. It's quite extensive, but just do the best that you can! Here's the link to the application:

https://docs.google.com/a/henricostudents.org/file/d/0B1iG77y7gDvbaURqTlJHNzI2c2c/edit

I would hit the "Adopt Me" button on Petfinder for those girls, and then there's some info you have to fill out. Along with the info, mention that you will be emailing them your application shortly. That's what I would do. Then email your application(s) to them at dakotas.dream@hotmail.com.

They also have a short break down of the adoption process on their website:

http://dakotasdream.webs.com/adoptionprocess.htm