Author Topic: Food Puzzles  (Read 961 times)

Offline Deblee

• Posts Too Much!
Food Puzzles
« on: March 01, 2016, 01:32:10 PM »
HI,

I am looking for safe, yet fun food puzzles for my boys. I want them to have to work a little for their food and/or treats. I have been researching the different ones but most are made for dogs and cats. I have also read a few horror stories about heads getting stuck in things like veggie baskets.  I would really like to try a veggie basket for lettuces and herbs but now I am worried!! Does anyone have any suggestions or actually use food puzzles that their rats really enjoy?

Thanks,
Deb

Offline chelsea12

Re: Food Puzzles
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 01:45:08 PM »
While it's not exactly a food puzzle, I have used hard boiled eggs (let them peel them) or mixed nuts. They get some mixed nuts around the holidays, and they will work for a few days to chew through the thicker shelled nuts. They get the almonds out quickly and take quite a while on the walnuts. They think it's the best thing ever. With food toys I'm careful with supervising the fun and games. If I use something outside of their normal diet I pay extra attention to nutrition.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 09:54:41 PM »
You can put treats inside toilet paper tubes and close off the ends.  Your rats will have a blast getting out the treats.

With eggs or nuts, by the way, even with peanuts, the rats may need a bit of help getting started.  An initial crack is all it takes; they will take things from there.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Deblee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 10:22:04 AM »
Thanks. I will definitely try both of your suggestions.  :)

Offline gawgeouspaws

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 10:35:49 AM »
I haven't tried either of these yet, but I heard that you can fill a box with fleece scraps/paper towel scraps and mix some treats in. They'll have a ball digging around for them! Also, some people will let their rats go "pea fishing" by filling a relatively shallow bowl with water and pouring some thawed peas in for the rats to "fish" for. I watched a video where someone even put some smooth rocks in there and tucked peas under the rocks so the rats could go on shallow diving excursions for their treats!
currently snuggling mario
rip henrietta, penelope, and angus
came back to this forum again as of 1/23/2017

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 01:10:40 PM »
I use those cheap Easter plastic eggs to put food in them (50 for $2 at Walmart). Lots of fun for rats. I recycle them with my other plastic things.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 01:54:36 PM »
If you look for oPuPo's channel on YouTube, you will find a lot of ideas for playtime with your rats, especially involving water.  Many rats enjoy not only pea fishing, but actually swimming and diving for stones.  This channel has a number of videos on how to introduce rats to playing in water, and also some fun videos of his rats playing in general.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline gawgeouspaws

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 03:30:10 PM »
I use those cheap Easter plastic eggs to put food in them (50 for $2 at Walmart). Lots of fun for rats. I recycle them with my other plastic things.

Ooh, I really love this idea! I've been looking for new plastic toy options for my boys.
currently snuggling mario
rip henrietta, penelope, and angus
came back to this forum again as of 1/23/2017

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 09:32:28 AM »
I had some fosters that were afraid of water. I got a cheap paint tray and propped it so it wouldn't flip. Put a little water and some toys, stones, shells in the bottom. gradually filled it deeper as they got braver. They seemed to like being able to go down a ramp to investigate rather than just the lip of a bowl or pan.
--Best, Mountaintop--