Author Topic: Sewing machine recomendations ?  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Ehrinlove

Sewing machine recomendations ?
« on: March 06, 2016, 11:11:34 AM »
mine just went completely south, and as it was a old machine, tiny and rather... well 'cheaply' made gifted to me, I would rather fund a new one vs a repair but I have no idea even where to start, with a small budget of 100-150 topping out at 200ish I'm a little in over my head trying to pick out what would be a good reliable machine for doing liners and hammocks and things anyone have any thoughts ?

Offline Violet976

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed...
    • The Rat Stash
Re: Sewing machine recomendations ?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 02:54:13 AM »
I'm a sucker for the old workhorses. I'm still sewing on a 1941 Singer, and that beast has taken a beating for me the past 5 years.

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 06:48:51 AM »
I'm a fan of Brother brand sewing machines. My high school has them for sewing classes and they go through A LOT. Many of the students using them have never sewn before and the machines manage to live.

Offline purple rat

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 07:32:29 PM »
I'm still using the Singer I bought back in 1983.  I've made a lot of liners and hammocks in the last few years and I've had no problems with it
proud mama of Spock, Merlin, Goober & Streaker

missing my babies at the bridge: Remy, Tuck,   Neo, Crash, MRR Canadian boys Kirby & Digby, brothers Baxter, Abbott & Bentley

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 07:59:54 PM »
If I were going to get a new machine, in that price range I'd consider this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-XR3774-Full-Featured-Quilting-Instructional/dp/B00MNS60AQ/ref=sr_1_19?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1458345052&sr=1-19&keywords=sewing+machine

The extra wide table would be nice to have and the selection of stitches + the extra sewing feet are what catch my eye. Brother is a good brand too. I also love that its not computerized. Not to knock computerized machines, but the one I have now can be finicky when it comes to "errors", and is super slow computing the reverse stitch. I have to wait for it to decide its ready to backstitch.  ::) But thats just mine, and it has forever made me wary of buying another.
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline RattieEnthusiast

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 10:33:24 AM »
I just bought a Janome HD 3000 which is not in your price range (it's really not in mine either but it's the best one for what I'm doing :yelcutelaugh:), but I've been very very happy with it so far. You might see if there's a Janome that would be in your price range (like this one. If not, a Brother could work for you, though I wasn't thrilled with my last Brother - it barely sewed through two layers of fleece and it drew the line at topstitching hammocks ::) I actually stopped sewing hammocks because it refused to do it. I sewed a dress on it and then tried to sew a purse out of not-too-tough material, but it threw a fit and started bending needles :(
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!

Offline Beltaine

• Ritten
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 11:14:20 AM »
I'm using Singer 8280. It's cheap and good sewing machine for beginners :)
My Etsy shop address: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CritterEmporium

I'm a rat hammock maker. I sell my works on Etsy. All hammock are handmade by me with care and attention to detail. I use soft fleece and natural 100% cotton fabrics. Good prices and worldwide shipping with trackig number.

Offline raindear

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 07:35:59 PM »
When I bought my last machine Brother was making machines for Sears Kenmore line. I don't know if Kenmore is still made by Brother, but it has been a good machine for almost 20 years. My mother always swore by Pfaff, but I could never afford one.