Author Topic: Rat supplies organization?  (Read 1052 times)

Offline gawgeouspaws

Rat supplies organization?
« on: March 06, 2016, 05:21:05 PM »
I love my boys, but I have piles of fleece, towels, U-Haul furniture pads, food supplies for their mix, spare toys, binder clips, tissue rolls, packs of blank newsprint for their bedding, and practically everything but the kitchen sink stored on the shelf under their Critter Nation, in my closet, and around my room. It's getting a little... out of control. The mess is mostly contained, but I just wish it was neater, more organized, you know? Especially because I'll be repainting and redecorating my room soon, and I just want to find a way to organize "the rat stuff" that will flow with the rest of the room.

Plus, it would make everything much easier to get to without having to shift big piles of fleece or extra toys.

I was wondering what all of you use to keep rat stuff organized, especially on the shelf underneath a Critter Nation. Are there any relatively affordable bins/other storage items that you've found useful?
currently snuggling mario
rip henrietta, penelope, and angus
came back to this forum again as of 1/23/2017

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
Re: Rat supplies organization?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 09:19:53 PM »
I use wire shelving in combination with storage bins to keep my supplies organized:

I use the same shelving in my sewing/computer room to store my fleece stash:

Offline keegen456

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 09:22:06 PM »
Wow!!! That is a huge fleece stash!!!! :bow:
Tawnya- Hercules, Frost, Sparkle, Minnie

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 10:46:58 PM »
I found some plastic storage drawers that fit nicely on the shelf under the cage. I spray painted the shell of the drawers an army green color.

Since taking this picture, I picked up two more drawers so the entire length of the bottom shelf is now the plastic drawers. It's very clean looking. In the first drawer, I keep food, dry snacks, toys, wipes, egg cartons, and various stuff. In the second, bulky hammocks (cubes, corner huts, bunks, cat-carrier liners) as well as a storage box for rings, clips, lanyards, zip-ties, wing nuts, etc. Third drawer is flats hammocks and fourth is corners.

There isn't room for liner pads under the cage so they're on a shelf by my work table. That area is in desperate need of better organization. It was cluttered with art stuff before I started sewing junk for the boys. Now there's tons of fleece remnants and the sewing machine and grommets and threads on top of everything else.  :doh:

Offline gawgeouspaws

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 09:28:06 AM »
I use wire shelving in combination with storage bins to keep my supplies organized:

I use the same shelving in my sewing/computer room to store my fleece stash:

Wow! That is quite a system! I think I saw some of those pictures when you posted about revamping your rat room; it looks amazing! A little extensive for everything I have, but it looks so nice and organized.

I found some plastic storage drawers that fit nicely on the shelf under the cage. I spray painted the shell of the drawers an army green color.

Since taking this picture, I picked up two more drawers so the entire length of the bottom shelf is now the plastic drawers. It's very clean looking. In the first drawer, I keep food, dry snacks, toys, wipes, egg cartons, and various stuff. In the second, bulky hammocks (cubes, corner huts, bunks, cat-carrier liners) as well as a storage box for rings, clips, lanyards, zip-ties, wing nuts, etc. Third drawer is flats hammocks and fourth is corners.

There isn't room for liner pads under the cage so they're on a shelf by my work table. That area is in desperate need of better organization. It was cluttered with art stuff before I started sewing junk for the boys. Now there's tons of fleece remnants and the sewing machine and grommets and threads on top of everything else.  :doh:

Hmm, these seem nice! Sturdy, and about on par with the price of some IKEA storage I've been eyeing. This is definitely a contender! Especially the idea of spray painting them; I like that.
currently snuggling mario
rip henrietta, penelope, and angus
came back to this forum again as of 1/23/2017