Author Topic: Pre washing uhaul pads?  (Read 1050 times)

Offline keegen456

Pre washing uhaul pads?
« on: March 09, 2016, 05:24:06 PM »
I am pre washing all my fleece to prep it before I start making the cage liners. I was wondering if the uhaul pads needs to be prepped? Is one wash ok to get any dust and stuff off or does it need multiple washes like fleece does? Also, can it be washed like normal laundry?
Tawnya- Hercules, Frost, Sparkle, Minnie

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
Re: Pre washing uhaul pads?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 06:49:37 PM »
I'm looking forward to answers to this question. I pre-washed the pad with the first liner set that I did and it nearly clogged the drain. It shed a lot of fiber.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 09:11:32 PM »
Once is enough to get it cleaned. However it will shed fibers forever, it will never stop. I would wash it on hot so it doesn't shrink with future washes. I stop using fleece and U Haul pads, I now use an mat that I cut to the correct measurement for the last 18 months, works much better in my opinion .

Offline keegen456

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 09:13:28 PM »
Which mat, Ilovemyratties?
Tawnya- Hercules, Frost, Sparkle, Minnie

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 09:55:16 PM »
I wash and dry them three times before using them. That helps a lot with future shedding and also makes sure they do not shrink much in the future. They will still shed, but not as much.

Offline Violet976

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed...
    • The Rat Stash
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 02:52:52 AM »
Uhaul is known to shrink something terrible but it's an awesome lining for absorbency. For cage liner usage, I would definitely wash it 2-3 times in hot water, or once on a sanitary cycle if you have it. Then dry on the highest heat setting for at least 45 minutes. I've measured the UHaul pads before to test for shrinkage, and 3 washes is ideal if you don't have a sanitary cycle on your machine.