Author Topic: Just got some Bass pans  (Read 3358 times)

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Just got some Bass pans
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2016, 02:21:14 PM »
Just got an order of twenty pounds of Eco-bedding--two large boxes of it.  I don't have room in my apartment to store them, much less freeze them, lol!
Where did you got it from? The cheapest Eco bedding I got was for about $52 with free shipping and it got me four 4.5lb bags.

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2016, 02:36:00 PM »
Wow! How big are those boxes?

Offline NorthStar

Re: Just got some Bass pans *info in one place*
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2016, 11:06:54 AM »
Hello! Just commenting to help shape this great discussion a little.

I bought a DCN over a year ago on a great sale, I think it was $160 plus shipping. I forget which forum I was on but everyone was going nuts about this big sale. I haven't actually had a chance to even take the DCN out of the box because soon after I got it, I moved and have not been ready for more ratties. But I can't wait to settle into my new life and adopt a trio of boys.

So anyway, I bought the Bass pans but accidentally left them behind in the move. I was so bummed when I realized what happened. I got over the loss (and expense!) and will order more Bass pans when I am ready to set things up and bring some ratties back into my life.

I really adore the higher Bass pans (3 inch tall edges option). I liked fleece for a little while but in my humble opinion I consider loose/ litter bedding easier to maintain and fresher overall. Plus I won't have easy access to a washing machine, so already I will be dragging the millions of hammocks I have to the laundromat. I don't want the extra work of washing fleece liners too.

So it's nice to read all about fellow Bass pans lovers like me. I love the information about which paint to use should I want to paint the pans, and also how to powder-coat them! Someone said they hated the crinkle paper litter in pink, but I would seriously consider powder-coating the pans pink! Probably easy to get sick of, though. Would be sure to post the ugly pics, haha.

I am going to edit this post in a little bit to helpfully add some of the information we have in this thread to make it easy to find in one post. Will include the paint brands, the cement mixing bins tips, bedding/ litter suggestions and my own thoughts about hammocks and such. Feel free to add to things and *please do* help me to get the best information out there to help those of us who are Bass pans fans in particular and rat lovers in general.

Needless to say, many of us really really really like Critter Nations!

I apologize if this is considered thread hijacking, a great discussion was started so I wanted to jump in. Please let me know if I ought to move this post.

Offline NorthStar

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2016, 12:17:36 PM »
I can't seem to edit my post, sorry. Here's what I wanted to consolidate. I tried to note screen names to give credit to what folks suggested, I hope that's OK.  There was some great information in this thread. :)

Usually the cheapest source for Critter Nations: drsfostersmith.com

The Critter Nation cage pans this thread is talking about can be found at: bassequipment.com

BigBen shares that you need to get the Bass pans in stainless steel, OR you can get the galvanized steel pans that are cheaper and paint them with Rustoleum Painter's Touch Toy Safe Paint (and let the spray-paint set and become safe for your rats with a two week wait). It sounds like this kind of paint may be harder to get in the U.S. (you can find it in the U.K). Another exciting option is to powder-coat your pans, which BigBen said had come to $50.  The powder-coating paint used was Tiger Drylac Powder and a great, Critter Nation similar color is RAL 7043.  It looks very much like the cage color if you want to match the powder-coated pans to the cage.

Vonda Z. said a safe brush-on paint is ECOS Paints Pet-Safe Paint, and they also sell a primer if you need it (for older pans you have sanded first to repaint, for example).

ILoveMyRatties mentioned that another option is going to the Home Depot for their cement mixing tubs to use as cage pans, they are 7 inches deep.  It sounds like you would get the large size, Michael C. said you can cut the sides a little with a utility knife to get them to fit into the cage.

Eco-Bedding is popular and safe, you can also use Carefresh Crinkles.  Amazon.com has FiberCore Eco-Bedding, as well as Carefresh Crinkles Bedding.

I highly suggest utilizing Etsy.com and searching "rat hammocks" and "rat hammock sets" for some adorable and useful hammock sets for your rats. I never buy the hammocks and hanging cubes made with ribbon loops, rats can chew right through them and break a hammock very fast.  So I always get the hammocks with grommets!  Metal hooks are cheap on Etsy too ($1-$2 for four), or you can find metal shower hooks.

I hope all this was helpful, thanks for starting this thread BigBen.  :)

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2016, 01:32:21 PM »
Just got an order of twenty pounds of Eco-bedding--two large boxes of it.  I don't have room in my apartment to store them, much less freeze them, lol!
Where did you got it from? The cheapest Eco bedding I got was for about $52 with free shipping and it got me four 4.5lb bags.

I paid about $63 to Pet Food Direct, which was the best deal I could find, especially since shipping was free.  There's a company that sells thirty pounds for an even lower price per pound, but shipping from California to New York would have cost about thirty dollars more than the cost of the Eco-bedding itself.  If I remember rightly, the total order came to well over a hundred dollars.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Alex_Belle

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2016, 04:42:09 PM »
If I had it to do over, I think I would have gotten those pans. I didn't know you could get them for shelves!!

Offline raindear

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »
The best price I have found for the DCN is ferret.com: http://www.ferret.com/item/critter-nation-small-animal-cage-double-unit/650232/

Petsmart has the DCN or an identical facsimile under the All Living Things brand that periodically comes on sale for a really good price: http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/cages/all-living-things-multi-level-small-animal-cage-zid36-21573/cat-36-catid-600022?var_id=36-21573&_t=pfm%3Dsearch the Memorial Day price was $160. But it is only in store, not delivered.

If like me you like the shallow DCN pans but they have been chewed, Flower Town Chinchilla: http://www.chinchilla.ca/product.php?menuID=2&catID=2&item=Cage_Accessories has shallow painted pans for the DCN. They are located in Canada, so the shipping is a bit more, but I am very happy with my metal pans and I can continue to use fleece which I prefer.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2016, 05:27:41 PM »
I'm thinking of getting 4 half shelves and 2 large with ramp cut stainless steel bass pans. I have 2 DCN cages. I use a Home Depot mixing tub for the lower level in both cages. With shipping it will be about $320. It is quite expensive, but what's worry me more is the 3 inches depth of the pans. Is that enough to keep the litter in? Right now, I'm using some Walmart storage boxes for the half levels, they are only $4 a piece and 6 inches deep so no litter gets throw out. It doesn't look too good though but super cheap and practical. What would you do?

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2016, 07:01:59 PM »
The three-inch Bass pans keep the bedding in, except when I take the guys out for playtime.  A clump of the Eco-bedding often sticks to their feet.  I've learned to stack them on my shoulders so that I can have two hands free for picking up each additional rat, lol!
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n