Author Topic: Martin's Cage Decisions for 2-3 rats  (Read 1214 times)

Offline bmsgirl94

Martin's Cage Decisions for 2-3 rats
« on: April 04, 2016, 02:34:22 PM »
Hi all!

I'm trying to decide what cage I want to get. I'm planning on getting 2 rats (maybe 3) in June and I'm trying to pick out my cage now so I can save money. I'm leaning more towards girls than boys. I really like the Martin's I'm just not sure which model.

Any advice about cages or anything else would be great! I've had a rat before, but just one never two. Thanks!

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Martin's Cage Decisions for 2-3 rats
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 02:41:54 PM »
Take the biggest one you can afford. Use the Rat Cage Calculator so you don't get something too small. Especially if you want girls, the biggest the better. I personally prefer critter nation cages, but Matin's are good cages too.

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 04:18:22 PM »
For two rats, you'll want a Martin's R-680 or larger. The R-680 ($105 with powder coat) and R-685 ($126 with powder coat) are the same size, but there's more floor space in the R-685 being that there's a full second level. This does make the front door on the R-685 slightly smaller but I believe it comes with a flip top lid automatically. The cage calculator that I use says that these cages would be fine for up to 3 rats. Does anyone who has (or has had) either of these cages want to chime in on how many rats you personally think these cages comfortably house?

Basically, for $15-35 more, you could get powder coated R-695. This cage would probably be more comfortable for 3.

Here's a link to a page with a ton of Martin's info.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 04:55:50 PM »
I would recommend the R695. The R695 is large, but still manageable. It can hold up to four rats, but I feel that it is most comfortable with three.

The R680 and R685 are the same size, just different layouts. They are a bit shorter than the R695. Three rats would be maximum capacity. Two rats would be comfortable. If three rats could be in your future, I would recommend the larger R695, as it is pretty perfect for three rats in my opinion. You could even add a 4th, but that would put it at max capacity. If you decide that you will never have more than two rats, then you will be fine with the R680 or R685.

The R699, on the other hand, is really so large that it would be unwieldly. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a more portable Martins cage. If you need to house that many rats, I would recommend a CN rather than a Martins.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 06:35:26 PM »
My first mischief was four rats, two boys and two girls.  At the time, the required space per rat was slightly less, so with the rescue's approval I put them in an R-685.  It was a bit crowded, and it worked only because the girls were so small.  As I gained experience, I felt that three would really have been the maximum for that cage.  It was a great cage, and I really liked it.  One thing that made it more manageable with four rats was that the previous tenant left a picture hook right above where I put the cage, so I could hook the lid open.  With the lid and the door open, the rats seemed to have plenty of space.  I would close up the cage only when I went to sleep or left the apartment, otherwise it stayed wide open.

One fond memory of that cage is that one Saturday morning, shortly after the rats had arrived, I was awakened by a strange thump.  Something told me I'd better get up and deal with it, instead of trusting it was benign.  When I opened my eyes and looked around, I spotted Elizabeth and Michael on the floor in front of the cage, calmly looking around.  Apparently, I had left the lid open all night, instead of closing it at bedtime.  As near as I can figure, the culprits were climbing on the lid, knocked it off the hook, and the fall of the lid threw them to the floor.  They were perfectly fine, but I nearly had a heart attack at seeing my new ratties on the floor of my rat-unsafe apartment.  They must not have expected their adventure to last for long, because they didn't run when I came to pick them up and return them to the cage.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 07:42:30 PM »
As near as I can figure, the culprits were climbing on the lid, knocked it off the hook, and the fall of the lid threw them to the floor.

...and this, ladies and gentlemen, is how to convert a Martin's cage into a ratapult.  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 11:21:01 PM »
As near as I can figure, the culprits were climbing on the lid, knocked it off the hook, and the fall of the lid threw them to the floor.

...and this, ladies and gentlemen, is how to convert a Martin's cage into a ratapult.  :yelcutelaugh:

LOLZ!!

BTW, Michael hinted that you should always have Martin's powder-coat your cage, but didn't explain the reason.  Galvanizing is cheaper, but it is very hard to get the urine smell out of galvanized steel once it sets in.  I forgot to put this in my earlier post.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline RooRat

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rest in Peace Petyr, Renly, and Myka <3
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 08:53:14 AM »
I have both the 680 and the 695. I have my big (meanypants) solo boy in the 680 now. He lived in the 695 with his brother when they were babies (before hormones kicked in and made him a butt). I think for 3 rats, I'd definitely go with the 695! It'll give them plenty of room to run and play (and get away from each other if they need to). The 680 is great and I love it, but I wouldn't put more than two in there (and even then, I'd want them to be two smaller rats, not two big pound-and-a-half monsters like Pyp ::)).
Mom to Pyp!
Visit my Etsy shop!