Author Topic: Sewing hammocks and liners by hand?  (Read 1456 times)

Offline bmsgirl94

Sewing hammocks and liners by hand?
« on: April 06, 2016, 09:46:24 PM »
I know a lot of you have sewing machines, but I was wondering if any of you make hammocks and whatnot by hand sewing and how you do it?

thanks!

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
Re: Sewing hammocks and liners by hand?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 09:59:52 PM »
Personally, I can't stand hand sewing. It takes forever. I borrowed a sewing machine and just hammered out as much as I could in a week. Another option is no-sew hammocks. There are also tons of tutorials on youtube.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 09:27:31 AM »
I do not do hand sewing myself. Like Michael C, I find it to be tedious and time consuming, and my hand sewing always comes out wonky (because I have no patience). That said, I know there are others who do hand sew rat hammocks. I imagine you would do it exactly like you would with a sewing machine (unless you do the no-sew hammocks). If you do not get any assistance on this group, there is a Facebook group called *Crafty Rat Owners DIY* that you can try. That group covers all sorts of rat crafts, not just hammocks, but I know I have seen people post pics of hand sewn items, so you might be able to find assistance there. Link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/628571133857780/

If you are interested in going the No-Sew route, you can find instructions for a variety of projects here: http://www.suzsugargliders.com/nosewaccessories.htm.

If you are really interested in making your own hammocks, you might want to consider investing in a sewing machine. You do not need a fancy machine to make hammocks - an inexpensive simple machine will do (although I do recommend reading reviews as you do want to avoid any super cheap budget machines that have a propensity for jamming). Avoid the machines with bad reviews, the toy-like machines, and the mini machines. I like Brother machines, myself, but any brand will do. And you do not need special sewing skills - most hammock making is just sewing straight lines.

Offline Briar

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 09:59:47 AM »
Back before I got my sewing machine, I hand-sewed everything. I followed Vonda's hammock tutorials (found here: link), except I didn't top-stitch anything. The top-stitching really just makes everything look more put-together, and isn't a necessary step. Like Vonda said, really all you need to know is how to do a straight stitch.

Hand-sewing takes a lot more time, so when my rats inevitably chewed the hammocks to Swiss chees, I found myself growing frustrated. I persisted for about two years, before I inherited my grandmothers old Singer.
RIP Crème Brûlée, Leelah, Merrill, Val, Duchess, Eris, Nyx, Amera, Orion, Adonis. Play hard, dear ratties...
Current rats: Scarlett No-Haira, Bacardi, Ariel, Belle, Atlas, Phaser, Kirk, Spock.

Offline bmsgirl94

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 11:19:30 AM »
Thanks for the tips!

Joanns is having a huge sale on fleece in case yall missed it! It's online only but a lot of fleece is 50% off!

Offline keegen456

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 10:45:01 PM »
I sew all my hammocks by hand. I picked up a sewing machine, but I cannot figure out how to fix the bottom tension and anything I try to sew using it becomes a tangled mess. So I hand sew. It takes awhile, but I can usually finish one or two during the course of a movie or a few shows so it's not terrible. I need to find someone to make me those nice looking cage liners though. The ones that lay on top not the ones that are clipped.
Tawnya- Hercules, Frost, Sparkle, Minnie

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 09:37:03 AM »
I sew all my hammocks by hand. I picked up a sewing machine, but I cannot figure out how to fix the bottom tension and anything I try to sew using it becomes a tangled mess.

On my top-loading drop-in bobbin machine, I usually do not have adjust the bobbin tension. I used to have to do it on my cheaper Singer, though. You have probably tried this method as it is very basic, but here is an explanation of how to adjust the bobbin thread tension:

http://rhinestic81.blogspot.com/2012/02/sewing-tip-2-adjusting-bobbin-tension.html

Offline bmsgirl94

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 09:50:40 AM »
For CROCHETED hammocks, what kind of yarn do you use?

Offline raindear

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 12:05:57 PM »
@keegen456: Sometimes sewing machines need to be professionally balanced(?). I have had this done a few times. You might also be able to find a manual for your machine on line or from the manufacturer. Once you resolve the tangling issues, you might find sewing by machine enjoyable. I have had troubles like that with sewing machines, and usually it is easy to fix.

@Vonda Z: To crochet hammocks I would just use 4-ply or worsted weight yarn.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 04:30:11 PM »
You can make no-sew hammocks. Google "no-see rat hammock" for instructions:)

Offline Beltaine

• Ritten
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 10:56:21 AM »
Handsewing rat hammocks takes forever, and hammocks are uneven. They just look bad. Sewing machine is easy to use, machine sewn hammocks are more sturdy and look much better.
My Etsy shop address: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CritterEmporium

I'm a rat hammock maker. I sell my works on Etsy. All hammock are handmade by me with care and attention to detail. I use soft fleece and natural 100% cotton fabrics. Good prices and worldwide shipping with trackig number.