Author Topic: Pee rocks  (Read 1091 times)

Offline mghemm437

Pee rocks
« on: April 07, 2016, 01:03:35 PM »
Curious as to where most people find their pee rocks, and how much the generally pay for them? Getting two new babies in a couple weeks and have never used a pee rock before.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
Re: Pee rocks
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 02:58:16 PM »
I think I would just take a rock from the outdoors and sterilize it in a method similar to what reptile owners do for reptile rocks. Pet stores may sell something for reptiles, but you will probably pay a premium.

There are a variety of ways to sterilize a rock so that it is safe for use around animals. I do not recommend baking, however. Baking can be used to sterilize branches, but if the temperature of the rock increases too quickly, the water inside can cause it to explode. Safer choices include one or more of the following:

1. Boil in a large pot of water. Recommended boiling times vary.

2. Soak for 1/2 hour in a 5% bleach solution. Then rinse well (and some recommend following with a boil). Then put outside for a day to dry in the sun. Bleach becomes inactivated very quickly when exposed to air and sunlight (this is why it comes in an opaque container), so it should be safe to use. But if bleach smell remains, you will probably want to rinse/boil again and air out longer.

3. Freeze the rock for 48 hours or more.

4. Soak in hot water and vinegar for 1/2 hour, then boil.

There are lots of variations on these themes. For more info, I would do an Internet search on sterilizing rocks for reptiles. The reptile forums likely have lots of suggestions. Reptiles are extremely susceptible to a number of parasites, so they take the sterilization seriously.

Offline willas

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 01:12:53 AM »
You can also just leave it in the sun directly for  a few days

Offline raindear

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 07:45:36 PM »
If you have trouble finding rocks to use for pee rocks, I bought 6 or 8 river rocks at Star Nursery. They were really cheap. Maybe as much as $5, but I think it was much less.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 03:30:06 PM »
I need to check my garden center at stores like Lowes or Home Depot for river rocks as I can't find any outdoor where I live. If you know of any national stores that carry river stones of at least 5 inches, let me know;)

Offline raindear

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 10:45:54 AM »
Our Star Nursery has landscaping rocks and I just decided to stop by and see if they would sell me 6 or 8 river rocks. They were very nice about it. If you can't find landscaping stones at your local nurseries or hardware stores look for landscaping supplies and ask there.

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 01:06:21 AM »
Thanks, I'll try that:)