Author Topic: Travel/Emergency Cage  (Read 896 times)

Offline mghemm437

Travel/Emergency Cage
« on: April 08, 2016, 04:39:59 PM »
Picking up my new babies in a week and a half :BlueDumboSmile: and just finished a travel cage for them.Its a good idea for anyone who needs an emergency cage or something for transport.

I just bought a 58qt tub from Walmart ($4.98), hardware cloth from Lowe's ($8.97), zip ties, and duct tape. Definitely recommend using some power tools, otherwise it will take you 3+ hours like it did me  :yelcutelaugh:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 04:52:07 PM by mghemm437 »

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Travel/Emergency Cage
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 08:37:01 PM »
Your babies are so lucky!
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 08:52:47 PM »
Do you have a pic of your travel cage? Great job:)

Offline mghemm437

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 11:32:10 PM »
Do you have a pic of your travel cage? Great job:)

I do but I still haven't figured out how to insert a picture :/

Offline mghemm437

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 06:35:26 PM »

Here is a picture of the bin cage. At this point I had not put hardware cloth on the back side yet.

Offline bmsgirl94

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 03:31:47 PM »
I love that travel cage, but I'm not so handy with the wire/plastic. Do you have any suggestions for buying a travel cage? Especially for shorter distances like to the vet, or coming home (less than an hour)

Offline mghemm437

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 03:46:33 PM »
I love that travel cage, but I'm not so handy with the wire/plastic. Do you have any suggestions for buying a travel cage? Especially for shorter distances like to the vet, or coming home (less than an hour)

Personally, I don't. Ive never had to transport my rats much, and this is to bring my new babies home in (I just bought a CN, so it definitely doesnt fit in my car like I could with my old cage). You could look at getting a cat carrier or something similar. The only issues with those is that A) most are plastic so can be chewed, but for short distances that isnt a problem. B) the handle design makes the cage tend to swing when carrying it, which can be disruptive to the ratties. C) not easy to hang toys, hammocks, water bottles, etc.

Offline Risika57

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dayton Coordinator for EARPS
    • Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
Martin's Cages has some wonderful travel cages. I recommend making sure they are powder coated first!

Stephanie Johnson (stephanie@earps.org)
Ohio Coordinator
Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary
www.earps.org