Author Topic: Wheel suggestions  (Read 1199 times)

Offline mghemm437

Wheel suggestions
« on: April 09, 2016, 07:50:39 PM »
So I am bringing my two baby girls home next week and am wondering how many peoples' rats actually use a wheel? I already have a giant silent spinner wheel from previous rats (whom never used it), so it's not like I have to go out and buy one. Should I just put it in the cage and see if they use it, then take it out if they don't?

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Wheel suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 09:46:34 PM »
My 2 two years girls are still using their wheels, both wheels! My 1 year old neutered male has been using it every day for hours until recently- now maybe 30 mins/day. My new 3 months old neutered males haven't used it in 10 days more than maybe 10 mins (maybe)! It really depends. Put your wheel in your new rats cage and see if they are interested or not:)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 09:48:07 PM by ILoveMyRatties »

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 09:47:09 PM »
Yes, always give your ratties a wheel. The option should always be there in case they ever decide to use it. Ive had rats who were never interested in the wheel, some who took to it right away, and others who decided a year down the road they wanted to start using it.  :)
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 01:53:22 PM »
My girls have always enjoyed the wheel, the boys not so much.  But to my surprise, my current crew of boys uses the wheel almost every day.  I don't know who, exactly, but I know it's more than one of them.  They don't run, though, so much as stroll.  Slowly.  So much for exercise, lol!
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  6m2f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline mghemm437

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 09:55:17 PM »
I noticed Blake was sitting in the wheel a lot, and wondered if maybe she was to light to move it or just didn't understand. I started turning it slowly and she caught on! She now runs on the wheel for short periods of time through the day. Sansa still has no interest in it. She is more interested in sniffing my fingers, looking for treats!  :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 01:38:26 PM »
I noticed Blake was sitting in the wheel a lot, and wondered if maybe she was to light to move it or just didn't understand. I started turning it slowly and she caught on! She now runs on the wheel for short periods of time through the day. Sansa still has no interest in it. She is more interested in sniffing my fingers, looking for treats!  :BlueDumboSmileTongue:

Ratties! :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 11:52:27 AM »
One of the babies in a litter we fostered was such a hoot. He would wait until somebody else was running on the wheel, then he would hop on the upper side and WWHHHEEEE ride it over the top, hop off, stroll around, and do it again.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline bmsgirl94

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 10:59:39 AM »
What size wheel do ya'll suggest?

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 06:21:14 PM »
What size wheel do ya'll suggest?

A vertical wheel has to have a diameter of at least 12".  Anything smaller will damage the rat's backs.  I have a Wodent Wheel Wobust, which is the 12" model.  If you have one of those open, more-or-less horizontal wheels, I'm not sure if the size is as important.