Author Topic: Any good rat breeders in MN?  (Read 2000 times)

Offline alexarose

• Ritten
Any good rat breeders in MN?
« on: April 12, 2016, 02:14:28 PM »
Hey,
So after about 10 years we finally decided to have rats again (yay!).

However, we'd like to find a good breeder instead of a pet store. We're open to rescues as well but since generally they only have them occasionally and we'd prefer a pair of babies then an older pair which is generally what they get in it's a little less preferred then finding a good breeder.

I did manage to find www.80stoysale.com/ratadoption.html and are thinking of it as an option though I'd love to hear more experienced rat owners opinions on them before deciding.

So if anyone knows of a good breeder or is willing to discuss if the over rattery is a good option or not please let me know!

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Any good rat breeders in MN?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 05:19:44 PM »
I would avoid that breeder as I saw a LOT of red flags that concerned me on their actual knowledge.

A good breeder should be exclusively private adoptions, this person sells to a broker who sells to petstores.

"I sell some of my ratties to a small animal wholesaler who sells to small Mom & Pop type pet stores but i Prefer and love doing private adoptions."

They are breeding babies.  3 months at the youngest is WAY too young.  5 months is a minimum IMO. 

"My breeders are set up to breed at 3 months at the youngest and are retired at around 1 year old"

The males left in with the females the whole time will lead to constant pregnancies for the female (or back-to-backs) as a female will get go into heat and get bred on their post-partum heat (usually within 24 hours of birth).  Mother Nature tries to help the current litter by delaying implantation of the fertilized ova for a week, but at 4 weeks of age the current litter is on their own because Mom is nursing yet another litter.  A back to back litter is very very hard on a female, and most ethical breeders give their does time to recover between litters.

"My Breeders are left together all the time, i find leaving the Father's in helps make the babies healthier and more playful. "

Inbreeding and linebreeding are tools for breeders, it brings up hidden traits (good and bad) to the surface quickly, and you are able to work out the bad issues and cement in the good ones more easily.  its not a random thing but carefully considered and selected pairings.

"I DO NOT inbred for any reason! If i want a certain type or color, i pair up two ratties that will likely produce that color.
Inbreeding shortens lifespans and causes many health issues. "

Most breeders pick what lines/colours etc they want and work with improving the overall rat.  Breeders who offer all sorts of colours and patterns are often overstretched

``Colors produced are Blue, Russian blue, Agouti blue, Silver blue, Apricot, Agouti, Black, White, Blue Siamese, Siamese, Burmese, Tan, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Dalmatian and probably some others!

5-7 breeding pairs means litters every 4 weeks for each pair (thats a whole lot of babies, how can anyone socialize and determione health and temperament on 50 babies plus a month?  As you can see the babies have to be force-weaned because Mom has another litter around 4 weeks after they are born.  Normally males aren't separated from the family group til 5 weeks, and the babies aren't adopted out til 5-8 weeks.

I would advise you to keep looking.

I have rats available every week. I wean the rat babies at 4 weeks old.
I typically have 5 to 7 Breeding pairs.

Offline HairPunk

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 06:35:20 PM »
I have been looking for other breeders as well in MN. I bought my last 2 boys from Nikki at the link in OP. I did not feel they were especially well socialized as she does have a lot of animals but these have been the healthiest ratties even when their cage mate was chronically ill. I have contacted her to buy again as I haven't found another breeder and ALL pet stores have ceased selling pet rats which is, usually, for the best.

Offline Amanda

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 05:20:17 PM »
I would continuously check craigslist and petfinder for rats in your area. Also, many humane societies rescue rats but aren't great at advertising, so I would check their websites regularly as well. Wish you were closer as I have six female babies left to place from our surprise litter here in MI.

Offline Sammi_242002

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 09:51:44 PM »
Nice lady in Duluth who breeds rats they r kinda shy tho and another in bemidji her babies are super tame and sweet.