Author Topic: How many yards for single CN fleece liners?  (Read 1063 times)

Offline bmsgirl94

How many yards for single CN fleece liners?
« on: May 09, 2016, 10:21:48 AM »
Hey all! My adoption application was approved so I'll be bringing home babies in June! Meanwhile, I'm in the process of saving to get everything ready. I'm getting a single level CN, and I was curious how many yards yall use to cover the floor and shelf for a single level CN? Also how many yards for 2-3 hammocks?

Thanks!

Offline raindear

Re: How many yards for single CN fleece liners?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 10:57:45 AM »
The pan is 24" x 36" so a little over a yard of 50"-60" fabric to give you some to tuck in will cover that. The shelf is 24" x 18" so about half a yard to cover that. To give you some extra for hammocks I would probably buy 2 1/2-3 yards to give your imagination some extra to work with.

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 02:30:04 PM »
If youre just using one layer of fleece, you can get a bottom pan and shelf pan from one yard. And if you want hammocks, Id get another yard. So two should be good, but more is always better especially if you get it on sale, or check the remnant bin. :)
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline raindear

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 08:51:13 PM »
Yes, I was talking about sewing pillowcase type covers. If you're just putting down a layer of fleece, you will use much less.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 10:10:53 PM »
Also be aware that you want something absorbent underneath the fleece. If you use fleece alone, the pee wicks through and pools on the pan underneath where it will get sticky and start to smell right away. It is best to have an absorbent layer to soak up the pee and control odors. You can use an old bath towel under the fleece (but be careful that there are no strings unraveling as that can be hazardous). I like to sew a liner made from a top layer of fleece and a bottom layer of UHaul furniture pad as the furniture pad will not unravel into threads.

Offline bmsgirl94

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 05:57:04 PM »
@Vonda Z can you wash the uHaul furniture pads?

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 09:42:48 PM »
Yes - they are made from recycled denim and are 100% cotton: https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Protective-stuff/Furniture-Pad

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 11:41:45 AM »
@Vonda Z can you wash the uHaul furniture pads?

Vonda Z has actually created an amazing resource for everyone through her website. As someone with zero sewing experience, I've found her hammock and liner tutorials to amazingly helpful.

She discusses using the UHaul pads in this post and also in this post. She shows the layout for maximizing the use of the UHaul pad in this post.

If you want to make these "mat" style liners, it's really important to pre-wash both the UHaul pad and the fleece in hot water. Being that the UHaul pads are cotton and fleece is synthetic, they will shrink differently in hot water. It's good to make sure they're pre-shrunk before sewing them together.

Also, I noticed when I pre-washed the UHaul pad, it shed a lot. A lot. The lint screen on the washer's drain pipe had fallen off and the excess lint almost clogged the drain. Because of this, I made my cage liner mats with the UHaul pad sandwiched between two pieces of fleece to hopefully trap any loose lint in the future. I don't know if this was a waste of fleece but it's nice that they're double sided  :)

You can still use the UHaul pads as an absorbent layer even if you're not sewing the mat style liners. If you prefer to wrap your plastic pans with the fleece and hold it in place with binder clips, it would be really easy to just cut a piece of the UHaul pad the size of the inside of the pan to go under the fleece. The UHaul pads are too thick to wrap around and binder clip.