Author Topic: CN Scatter guards?  (Read 1796 times)

Offline bmsgirl94

CN Scatter guards?
« on: May 12, 2016, 09:11:35 PM »
Has anyone tried the scatter guards from Midwest? I plan on going the fleece/litter box route but I've read people still have problems with poo/food flinging. Here's the ones I'm considering

http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Homes-Pets-Accessories-Scatter/dp/B004UL3EUI/ref=pd_sim_199_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51YP0GWLk5L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=14X7Z0QEB6TWB9PJNJ7Y

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
Re: CN Scatter guards?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 12:14:04 PM »
Since I got my Bass pans, I've noticed less stuff making it out of the cage.  The one small problem, however, is that when I pick a rat up, usually a small clump of Eco-bedding comes with him, lol!  I didn't have this problem with my first mischief, however; I think it's just 'cause these guys aren't as fond of being grabbed.
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 02:54:19 PM »
The Midwest scatter guard doesn't seem to get the best reviews.

Metal pans from Bass Equipment or Flowertown Chinchillas are much more durable and higher quality.

There are also plenty of DIY options. Different types of guards can be attached to the bars of the cage to prevent stuff from getting pushed out. Here's a video showing how to make simple plexi-glass guards. They could also be made out of cardboard or fleece.

Offline bmsgirl94

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 03:35:06 PM »
With the metal bass pans, how do you secure the fleece?

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 03:59:39 PM »
The point of Bass pans for me is that they eliminate the need for fleece (since my mother moved into assisted living, rat laundry is a problem for me).  I use a recycled-paper bedding called Eco-bedding to fill the pans.

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 04:35:51 PM »

I received a metal Bass pan with a second-hand single CN that I found on Craigslist several months ago. When I combined it with my existing single, I started using loose bedding again. I'm thinking about phasing out the loose bedding, though. I'm just going to set a loose fleece/Uhaul pad liner mat on the bottom of the pan, unsecured. I don't fasten my fleece mats to the plastic pans either. I just leave them loose because my boys destroy anything that's clipped down.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 05:39:20 PM »
Michael--What's that roller ball sitting on?  Did you make a base for it?  I'll bet it makes a great place to snooze, huh?

Offline Michael C

• Tiny Scratches
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 06:53:30 PM »
The ball is zip-tied to the top of the cage. I've only caught any of them sleeping in it a couple times. They don't seem to be that in to it. ...then again, they're not that wild about their sputniks either.

My boys are more interested in pocket hammocks and Oliver Reynolds loves sleeping in the litter tray.

I just found something that would make an amazing hidey house / bed. It's actually a chicken feeder. It looks like it's about the size of two space pods smushed together. I don't need it so I'm currently trying to talk myself out of ordering it.

Offline Mischief Mistress

• Posts Too Much!
  • I <3 My Rats.
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 12:37:33 AM »
I use the scatter guards. I love them! Have been using them for about a year now. They hold my fleece in place excellently! Definitely recommend.
Mom to 2 kids
Lactation Consultant
Student Nurse!
Army Veteran!

Offline raindear

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 12:51:04 PM »

I bought Bass pans when my rats chewed the plastic pans to the point I had to replace them. While I had Bass pans, I made fleece pads to put down in them. I then learned that Flower Town Chinchilla in Canada has painted metal CN and FN pans in 3/4" depth like the original cage pans. I can do the case covers again with these and I am happy with them. The shipping was a bit more, but I really like being able to go back to the way I used to use fleece.

Offline notsaying

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 01:03:36 PM »
I know this an old post, but I thought I might throw in my two cents.
I have a single critter nation. Since I use loose bedding, bedding got everywhere. So eventually, I bought a concerte mixing tray and cut down the wall height (from 7in to I think 3 or 4). This works pretty well, but it does not fit wall to wall (meaning it leaves a little bit of the floor grid exposed). To protect Delia's feet, I put the original base pan in under the concert tray.
It's an okay solution. Definitely less bedding everywhere. Also about half the cost of deeper pans.
I'm still working on how to fix the shelf.

Offline raindear

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 12:25:18 PM »
Sterilite makes an underbed box that measures 23 1/2" L x 16 7/8" W x 5 7/8" H that works on the shelves. It isn't an exact fit but it does work. It sells at Walmart. If your Walmart doesn't have it in stock, check Walmart.com for ordering information.

Offline notsaying

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 01:33:43 PM »
Thanks you.
I'll look into it.