Author Topic: Help MRR with hoarding case!  (Read 1000 times)

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
Help MRR with hoarding case!
« on: June 11, 2016, 04:16:51 PM »
Looks like MRR just took in a few hundred rats from a hoarding case.  If you've ever wanted to help them via donations, fostering, or adoption, now is a good time.  Info here, and more on their Facebook page:
http://mainelyratrescue.org/rattieblog2/?p=12743

They're a wonderful organization, and donations are tax deductible.

Offline LuvRats2

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Help MRR with hoarding case!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 09:50:38 PM »
Thanks for posting this erbusee!

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 12:02:54 PM »
Could someone from MRR give us an update on this?  I'm sure I'm not the only human who doesn't use Facebook.  ;)

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 10:29:05 PM »
The last update on MMR Facebook page was 10 days ago. I would like updates too. They said the rats were found in a commercial building but they weren't from a rat mill. What would hundreds of pet rats do in a commercial building? I couldn't find anything at all on the web on what happened or the name of the person responsible for that disaster. Why is that? Usually, the media are covering cases of animal hoarding, including rat hoarding very well. The person who had the rats was supposed to go to a judgement about what happened but no news anywhere about that either. Does ANYONE know what is really going on?

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 09:26:04 PM »
It was a veteran with mental issues, and he was living in a commercial property so eviction proceedings could go faster than in a residence. The pets were free-ranging. The stalwart rescuers were able to catch all but 2 of the 1000  :shocked2: --for those two they had to tear out some dry wall. Nearly all the females were pregnant and the final births are happening now. I believe the biggest litter so far was 19.  :shocked2: He really loved his rats. The adults seem tamer than usual, but some are also restless--used to 100% free range.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 01:22:41 AM »
It was a veteran with mental issues, and he was living in a commercial property so eviction proceedings could go faster than in a residence. The pets were free-ranging. The stalwart rescuers were able to catch all but 2 of the 1000  :shocked2: --for those two they had to tear out some dry wall. Nearly all the females were pregnant and the final births are happening now. I believe the biggest litter so far was 19.  :shocked2: He really loved his rats. The adults seem tamer than usual, but some are also restless--used to 100% free range.

Looks like some very serious mental issues to me. No one in their right mind lives in a commercial building with 300 rats going 1,000. I wouldn't call that love but animal neglect at best. He is nuts and probably will do that kind of crazy thing again. I wonder why this didn't get any news coverage!? I hope he gets mental help. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline ratsareausomepets

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 08:55:29 PM »
Hopefully by now he got some mental help.

That would be crazy to live with 300 free ranging rats!

I wonder how he slept with them cleaning his nose all night...

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rattos habeo, ergo sum
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 08:38:30 PM »
Not to mention the pedicures (I used to have a couple of rats that went wild over foot calluses).
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
Rat Code:  2m1f22r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n