Author Topic: Sewing Machine Suggestions  (Read 589 times)

Offline shmoopy97

Sewing Machine Suggestions
« on: June 12, 2016, 04:28:19 PM »
Hi all thank you for clicking on my topic!

Iv had my rats for over a year now and have been from the very start obsessed with sewing stuff for them. I used to hand sew everything until I was able to use my families sewing machine but its old and very quickly falling apart. I have the opportunity to get a new sewing machine but I was hoping to get some input from you guys on what kind.

I woulds like to spend under $200 but if a machine was really good I wouldn't mind paying a little more. Id love to be able to get it off amazon but if not possible i can get its somewhere else. Anyone have any input for me? Thanks  :)

Offline raindear

Re: Sewing Machine Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 06:36:36 PM »
I'm not sure what your requirements for a sewing machine are, so this may not be really helpful. I have a Kenmore machine from Sears that I have had for about 20 years. At the time I purchased it Brother was making sewing machines for Sears to sell under the name of Kenmore. I do some basic garment sewing and hammocks and other ratty things. Last week we bought this machine: https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Jx2517-Lightweight-Sewing-Machine/dp/B00FOWQUZS/ref=sr_1_11?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1465770633&sr=1-11&keywords=brother+sewing+machine for my sister at Walmart for $70. My sister has done a few basic things on it and is quite happy with it.

Offline BigBen

• Posts Too Much!
  • Almost as smart as a rat
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 03:13:58 PM »
My preference is for an older, non-electronic machine.  A solid old fully mechanical Singer will keep chugging along through chores that would bring one of the newer, lighter, more sophisticated machines to its knees.

I got into sewing back in my monastic days, when I somehow became the monk who made the habits for the other brothers (I've often wondered how they made out after I left).  We had an old, old Singer treadle model for a backup, and a newer Singer--but still old enough--as our main machine.  One brother, who eventually left, brought a complicated Brother electronic machine with him, but it wasn't nearly as useful.  It's kind of like the difference between an old manual typewriter and a modern laser printer--there are just some things you can do on the older machine that are impossible with the fancier one.  The thing I hated most about that electronic Brother was that there was simply no way to lower the needle to the fabric by hand, so it was impossible to position the fabric precisely.  It was a little thing, but boy, was it annoying!

I currently have a Singer model that was one of the first to contain electronics, and it is so temperamental that I've given up on it.  I bought it cheap when I left the monastery, and has been the bane of my existence ever since.  Believe you me, I am looking for a nice, non-electronic replacement!
What is a rat?  King-sized love in a pint-sized package.
RatCode:  1m0f18r !B C? D+ F S-- ocA reC sM a+++ e++++ n

Offline Beltaine

• Ritten
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 03:55:52 PM »
I use one of the cheaper Singer sewing machines, and I'm happy with it.
My Etsy shop address: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CritterEmporium

I'm a rat hammock maker. I sell my works on Etsy. All hammock are handmade by me with care and attention to detail. I use soft fleece and natural 100% cotton fabrics. Good prices and worldwide shipping with trackig number.