Author Topic: URGENT: Baby-safe loaner cages needed  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
URGENT: Baby-safe loaner cages needed
« on: June 19, 2016, 10:19:44 PM »
Some of the babies born after the 1000+-rat Holbrook rescue have reached that critical 4-1/2 week mark where they need to be separated and already stretched fosters need to find more cages. One immediate need is in capital district new york but there will be other needs in NE US. If you have a cage leaning behind a door, you could be a real hero by loaning it out until fosters get adopted. :-)
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

• Almost no idea what's going on
Re: URGENT: Baby-safe loaner cages needed
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 10:57:17 PM »
I have two cages that I need to get rid of.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 02:58:32 PM »
Minervathinosi that's awesome. Can you describe type, size, bar spacing so we can get them to the right place? Bless you!
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline ILoveMyRatties

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 03:15:01 PM »
I tried to Google the Holbrook rat rescue but nothing at all. Why is that? The only source of info is MMR and the rats were housed in a commercial building but they aren't rats from rat mills but pet rats. That doesn't make much sense to me.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 03:17:00 PM by ILoveMyRatties »

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 03:53:50 PM »
Okay. So one is 24"x14"x24" mesh with 1/2" spacing, two ramps, two shelves.
Looks like this- http://www.martinscages.com/images/full/r-670.jpg  But the bottem is plastic.

The other is literally this- http://www.thatpetplace.com/habitat-defined-rat-cage-25in-x-12in-x-28in?gclid=CKq-yamwt80CFdgXgQod7IMEsg

I also have a small igloo and 8.5 inch Kaytee comfort wheel if you would like those as well.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 04:56:05 PM »
I tried to Google the Holbrook rat rescue but nothing at all. Why is that? The only source of info is MMR and the rats were housed in a commercial building but they aren't rats from rat mills but pet rats. That doesn't make much sense to me.

I don't know what Mainely Rat Rescue has posted, but this was posted in the Facebook group for the West Side Highway Rats. It comes from Mainely Rat Rescue, so it may be the same info you have found, but in case it sheds any light on the situation, I am reposting here (it was stated in the post to share everywhere, so this should not be a violation of any kind).

+++++++++++
URGENT UPDATE from Mainely Rat Rescue. Please share. If you can help in any way please contact Leticia Quiles or MRR.:
 An update, this situation has become URGENT.

One of our volunteers visited yesterday and guesstimates the number of rats to be well over 150.....probably more.
 The gentleman loves his rats dearly but got overwhelmed.

He is a VETERAN and due to complaints, he has received an EVICTION notice and is scheduled to appear in court next week 6/9.
 The rats are not in a home...they are in a commercial space....therefore, eviction proceedings proceed more quickly.

The volunteer who met this gentleman yesterday has expressed concern about his mental state should he be evicted and the rats killed.
 MRR is heading back to Holbrook this Saturday. We are already rather full but we will do the best we can to take as many rats as possible.

Our MRR volunteers will be bringing rats back to Brooklyn NY, Dracut MA and Bristol CT.
 If you would like to adopt any of these rats, let me know ASAP!!!! We can only take as many rats as we know we have homes for.

WE CANNOT DO THIS ALONE, PLEASE HELP.

Spread the word, forward this email, post pics anywhere and everywhere.
 If any of you have connections to the media, that may help.

Pics attached.
 Leticia Quiles
 MRR Foster Care Manager
 Mainely Rat Rescue
www.mainelyratrescue.org
++++++++++++++++++

Link to Facebook Group with some pics: https://www.facebook.com/westsidehwyrats/?fref=nf

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 05:44:39 PM »
In case this helps, I wasn't on the original rescue but I believe those who were and spoke with Chris f about it today at her home. I understand it was MRR and two other groups. I have personally seen dozens of these ratties. An odd twist--because they were freeranging in the large space, Some of the adults seem restless in "captivity"--circling the enclosure and chewing the bars. They are also surprisingly socialized--the owner really loved them. The only bites have been with new mamas who've been through lots of change. Compare this to the rescue of a few years ago when they were packed and drowning in two filthy aquariums. They had no confinement vibe at all and loved their spaces. Also the Holbrook moms seem very used to teaming up--no conflict over babies, which has been a blessing as pinkies needed to be moved around. I guess each rescue is unique.

I wish I knew more about the human side--if social services is helping the owner.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 09:39:20 PM »
So can my cages be used?It be great to know, so I can clean them up and have them ready for you.

Offline Alex_Belle

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 08:50:41 AM »
Thank you for posting this !

I have 3 of the Holbrook adult females. One has 15 (14 day old) babies, and the other just delivered 18 babies 2 days ago. The other is on a pregnancy watch, but I will have had her 3 weeks this Sunday and if she is pregnant, my inexperienced eyes can't tell.

I could use another cage, but also have the means to just get my own.

But I am in the Boston area, so if anybody has any loaner cages in this area, I could let other MRR fosters near me who may not be on this board know.

THANK YOU !!!

Offline Alex_Belle

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 09:20:03 AM »

MinervaThonosi , are you in the NY capital area ?

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 10:53:53 AM »
MinervaThonosi, are you still in the East Petersburg area? Thank you so much for your offer. Will let you know when we get you matched with a cage need. Thanks so much!
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 02:21:00 PM »
I'm East Petersburg, PA. I'm glad I can help!

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 07:36:36 PM »
MinervaThonosi, do you still have your cages? If so, can you suggest some good dates/times for pickups? Thx!
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 09:00:39 PM »
Yes! I do still have them. I'm free most of the time, so if there is a date/time that's better for you?

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2016, 07:34:44 PM »
I'm free this week, minus getting my flu shot tomorrow. Is there any chance you could pick up the cages this week?

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 11:48:23 AM »
I feel like such a jerk.   :-[  :doh: Somehow I hadn't realized that you were 5+ hours away each way. What with working nights, caring for my and Paul's and foster rats, and getting our oldest ready to leave for college NEXT WEEK  :shocked2: I just haven't been able to do it. If you have a chance to sell them as you originally planned, why don't you go for it. Sorry this took so long. Sometimes I have the IQ of a carrot.
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline MinervaThonosi

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »
It's okay. I was also looking at donating them to the local SPCA, so I'll probably do that.

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2016, 04:11:21 PM »
I'm sure  they'll appreciate you and your gift.  :heart: Sorry.
--Best, Mountaintop--