Author Topic: Sewing Machine Tips for Fleece?  (Read 789 times)

Offline Little_Vixen

• Posts Too Much!
Sewing Machine Tips for Fleece?
« on: June 20, 2016, 12:31:48 PM »
Because I had to pack up a lot last month and everything and move across county from Tennessee to Idaho, it was awhile before I started making hammocks again.

I could really use some extra tips and some refreshers on sewing with fleece. I did some just fine last night, but still.

What tension should I use for the thread? I kept googling, but it wasn't really mentioning much that was helpful for me.

Do people still like using fleece on flannel? I have some cute monsters inc. fleece flannel ones I've made, but I'm not sure if I DO decide to sell again, if people would like them.

Someone make me sew-savvy again?

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
Re: Sewing Machine Tips for Fleece?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 01:01:05 PM »
I hate sewing fleece on fleece. I 99% of the time sew flannel on fleece. Otherwise, if its fleece on fleece I just make sure to pin a lot because it move so much, it can warp the shape of the hammock and a perfect square you cut out will become a weird hourglass rectangle lol. You can use universal needles, but a lot of people recommend ball needles meant for knits mostly. I use cone thread so my tension has to be adjusted to accomodate for that, but usually a 2-4 is good (middle ground) or auto if you have that option.
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 01:09:45 PM »
I'm not an expert as I just sew for myself and my rats, so things don't have to be perfect. However, I don't really do anything different with the thread tension. On my machine, I am usually at a standard 4 thread tension - but I generally use fleece and cotton or fleece and flannel and not two layers of fleece, which would be quite thick for many types of hammocks. When sewing through thick layers, I generally change to a thicker needle (100/16). I didn't use to have to do this, but more recently, I notice missed stitches if I do not - but only on very thick areas (like combining layers on a honeycomb hammock). Changing the tension didn't seem to help that problem. Most likely my machine needs a tune-up.

I do advise using the brush that came with the sewing machine to regularly clean out the inner workings under the needle plate - because fleece fibers will constantly collect down there and jam things up and make a mess.

I tend to use fleece with flannel in the winter and fleece with cotton in the summer, believing that the flannel ones will stay warmer (like flannel sheets) and cotton ones will breathe a little better and stay cooler (although the fleece is pretty much always going to be warm - but in pocket style hammocks, they can lay on top of the cotton instead of inside the fleece). I don't usually use double fleece unless making no sew hammocks because I prefer the look of cotton or flannel and because it is easier to sew through multiple layers if they are not all fleece. But in reality, the rats probably don't care one way or the other. Good quality flannel can be nice and soft, but some flannel is stiffer (usually cheaper flannel) and some flannel will pill much quicker (hard to tell which ones until you actually make something and wash a few times). However, since I usually have at least one chewer in the group, my hammocks don't usually last long enough for me to care about the pilling.

Offline Little_Vixen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 04:45:43 PM »
I use cone thread so my tension has to be adjusted to accomodate for that, but usually a 2-4 is good (middle ground) or auto if you have that option.

Cone thread?

Offline Kitsch Slapped

• Posts Too Much!
    • All About Rats
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 04:56:31 PM »
Yes, its thread thats typically used on a serger or overlock machine. Its large and doesnt normally fit on a regular sewing machine. They do sell stands that can adapt it for use on a regular sewing machine though. Or just use a measure cup like I do, and flip it over and slide the cone on the handle. Works great.
Its great if you sew a lot because you dont have to change out your spool of thread as often and it can be less expensive than a spool of regular thread because it has so much more on it. Some people say its not as good, but Ive never noticed a difference. I use it for everything, hammocks, quilts, etc. and nothing Ive ever used it on has fallen apart, or seams come undone. They can come in all kinds of colors too.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 04:58:49 PM by Kitsch Slapped »
Rattitude - Hammocks & Treats
rattitudehammocks.etsy.com
youtube.com/allaboutratschannel
facebook.com/allaboutrats

Offline Little_Vixen

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 12:03:34 AM »
Ohhhhh, oh oh oh, the coned shaped thread spools? I thought it was some sort of weird thread type xD